Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Julia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie needs help

Hello here! I am a total newbie so I need your expert advice here. What the best fish to have for a new one? I heard that Guppies are suitable for this. Also how many gallon tank do I need? For example, I'd choose a 10-gallon tank - how much fish can live there? It is necessary to have a tank heater like this one? It sounds weird for me because in the nature there are no predictable water temperature. Sorry for these silly questions Thank you in advance!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fish are pretty easy to care for…expect those that require live food only… I personally like the way schools or shoals of the same fish to accentuate the looks of a planted tank rather than a mish mash of different types… in a small tank, you can go with several nano fish or small tetras… all relatively cheap. A group of ember tetras are always nice, easy to care for, small and most local fish shops sell them cheap.. Endlers and guppies are cool too, just not my thing. If you can find them, white cloud minnows are very nice and prefer a cooler temp.

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr jnatelowe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph Nate Lowe Henk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In nature the water volumes are usually much higher than in a home aquarium, so temperatures don't fluctuate as quickly. You'll probably find that the number and variety of fish you would like to put in your tank is higher than what your tank will actually support (Or at least, this was true for me). I've used this aquarium stocking calculator in the past and it's worked pretty well:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...engthUnit=inch

As beginner I also found the Youtube channels "Girk Talks Fish," and Aquarium Coop to be helpful.

SCAPE Member Just Planted julila's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Julia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnatelowe View Post
    In nature the water volumes are usually much higher than in a home aquarium, so temperatures don't fluctuate as quickly. You'll probably find that the number and variety of fish you would like to put in your tank is higher than what your tank will actually support (Or at least, this was true for me). I've used this aquarium stocking calculator in the past and it's worked pretty well:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...engthUnit=inch

As beginner I also found the Youtube channels "Girk Talks Fish," and Aquarium Coop to be helpful.

Thank you for the useful link and channel recommendations!