Real Name
    Julia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, new here!

Hello members!

I am Julia, and I had a tank when I was a child. Now I have my own house where I want to have fish and I need to know more about them and aquatic plants. So I am here to keep in touch with the well-experienced members because I want to make everything in the right way
    Last edited by julila; 06-27-2022 at 10:30 PM.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Pcwgussej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Wally
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi! great to hear - there's a lot of places to start, but it might help to start with thinking ab what type of fish you'd like to keep.

that'll help decide what size tank would be ideal as well as what amount of filtration. sometimes petsmart/petco have good sales on tanks too.

there are so many cool fish [and shrimp, snails, etc] in the hobby, and some do great with plants (some, however, really like eating/uprooting them).

All the living things in your tank (fish and plants, etc) will participate in the nitrogen cycle and it will be important to monitor the levels of 3 compounds (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) that interact w important bacteria in your tank https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articl...ng-article.htm.

because this nitrogen cycle is so important for the health of the aquarium, it's adviseable to fully setup the cycle (ie "cycling") before adding any fish into the tank. The cycling process can also be significantly sped up if a local aquarium member has active filtration media available to add to your tank.

But id think any advice could be better tailored depending on what types of fish would go in the tank, so that could be the first topic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Eric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Welcome.
    needs more desklamp

SCAPE Member Just Planted julila's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Julia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I've never though that fish could uproot the plants! It seems that I'm in the right place to know everything about fish!