Real Name
    Kim
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Berried Amano shrimp?

HI!

For at least a year I've had a solitary Amano shrimp, probably longer. It survived in a bucket with a solitary Ember tetra and a Betta fish for many months while I was transitioning from a 10g to a 20g long. I set the 20g up in February. I bought 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows to cycle the tank (all are still alive and healthy). When I added the rest of my fish in the 20g I also got some otos and a few more amanos. Only 1 of the otos made it and none of the amanos did. I bought more amanos and otos and now have 3 of each. The otos are fine. However, I think that my original amano is berried now. Well, ONE of the shrimps is berried! It's the largest and I'm pretty sure that this is the original because the other two are much smaller.

So, now what? Will these baby shrimp make it? I didn't think that the amanos would reproduce. I don't know why.... I kinda thought they'd need brackish water to breed in. Evidently I was wrong! A) will these eggs really hatch? B) will my fish eat the babies? I've been giving the tank some frozen brine shrimp as a treat in the evenings and my fish are used to eating small "shrimp". I'm really conflicted! Should I put the berried shrimp into another tank? I still have the bucket the original fish were kept in up and running (still have a bunch of aquatic plants in there). I could put the shrimp in there and they'd all be safe.

What should I do???

SCAPE Member Just Planted Pcwgussej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Wally
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, from what i remember from previous google searches-

amano shrimp will breed with each other in freshwater. they will even give birth successfully. however, the shrimplets will not survive in freshwater after a certain point in their growth cycle.

forum users have said successfully breeding amano shrimp is very difficult. the parents should not be placed in brackish water to accommodate the eventual babies. once hatched, the process of turning the water brackish should be methodical. if isolating the berried parents is difficult, i recall a tip that shining a bright light into the tank when dark, will cause the baby amano shrimp to crowd towards the light.

i would reckon your fish will successfully eat the baby shrimp from one berried parent. if you ever wonder if there are shrimplets remaining, you could try the bright light method to locate them and scoop into a bucket for gradual feeding, culling, etc.

SCAPE Member Just Planted betta'sback's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I have a berried Amano and I read up a bit too. From what I understand, it takes brackish water for the babies to survive. Totally sucks because I want more shrimp lol.

There are SO many eggs!!! wish I could catch a photo of mom but she's a fast one. I feel your pain, for sure. If you find a way to keep them alive, let me know so I can try it! Best wishes with momma