Real Name
    Mary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total newbie in Goleta.

Hi everyone!

I was intrigued by learning about Marimo balls a few days ago. (Though I suspect they are higher maintenance than the cheery article implied.) I am very curious about plants in general and have gardened in three distinct climates. However I have virtually zero knowledge of aquatic plants. I have kept freshwater tropical fish at a very basic level at various times.

I was wondering if I might find a few aquatic plants that might do okay in glass jars on a wire shelving unit near a window with indirect light. I am also concerned about water quality. The last time I kept fish my tap water was largely from snow melt so it was very pure. I know the tap water here has many minerals which might be limiting.

I do know enough to know how flaky (and potentially challenging) this project sounds. I've been both an Engineering and Environmental Studies major (at different times in the remote past.). I've also been a Master Gardener Volunteer in two states. So I also know that it may be doable IF I properly research the issues involved and make considered choices before I invest in my plants.

SCAPE Member Just Planted mcshrimpin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Stacie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the hobby! I'm also very new. Bought my first plants in January and they were the beginner type. Amazon sword, Java moss, amubias nana, and Amazon frogbit. My substrate was only black sand. They melted a little and one sword was left in the air overnight but it recovered in about a month. These aquatic plants have been super easy and I rarely do anything for them. Water is dechlornated LA tap water. No heater. Aquaclear 30 hob filter with only seachem matrix and a sponge. 10-20% water change once a month.

My aquatic plants have been a lot easier than my terrestrial plants because I can't over or under water them and the fish make the nutrients.

SCAPE Member Just Planted PlanetLuvver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying! Your suggestions have given me a starting point. The only shops I know of locally are general pet stores and I know they stock based on what sells rather than what will be successful. I won't be keeping fish for now.

I chuckled a bit about the aquatic plants being easier than terrestrials. I've had problems keeping to a watering schedule with my terrestrials. And when I do water, I will forget to drain my pots and leave my succulents with wet feet.