Real Name
    Swire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue King Kong and

Hello All,

Asking for advise from fellow shrimp expert. I have had a tank of CBS for over 2 years, I think I have over 50 in the tank currently. In the past 4 moths I notice a blue king kong shrimp (see picture below), and couple of white bee shrimp.

Here are 2 questions.

1. I'd like to have more blue king kong, what can I do in my tank to encourage it?
    2. Should I separate the blue king kong & white shrimp? What type of shrimp will I get if they breed together?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_2665 (2).jpg
    IMG_2666 (2).jpg

SCAPE Member Just Planted Afsheen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Afsheen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're producing Taiwan bees from your crystals, im nearly certain that means you have some mischlings (crystal×taiwan bee cross) hiding in your colony. Mischlings look just like crystal shrimp but carry taiwan bee genes, so it's a crapshoot of what you get when they breed.

Hope this helps!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Goldendragon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Swire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afsheen View Post
    If you're producing Taiwan bees from your crystals, im nearly certain that means you have some mischlings (crystal×taiwan bee cross) hiding in your colony. Mischlings look just like crystal shrimp but carry taiwan bee genes, so it's a crapshoot of what you get when they breed.

Hope this helps!
    Would it increase my chances if I later on put all the "special ones" in a separate tank?

SCAPE Member Just Planted Afsheen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Afsheen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if you move all your mischlings to a separate tank from the crystals, you may increase your rates. However, since they're crystal × taibee hybrids, you're likely to get more crystals than taibee.

If you then separate the taibee offspring from everything else, you can create a colony of taibee (basically a cheap way of creating a taibee colony).

Hope this helps!