Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Light = Green Water?

I have been dealing with green water in my AquaMaxx 9.1 bookcase tank for about 9 months now and I'm wondering if the spectrum on my light has gone bad due it's age .I have had a chihiros a series on the tank for at least 6 years but have never used it at max intensity due to the tank being relatively shallow.

The tank was high tech until about 6 months ago, at which point I took the Co2 off and started using lower lighting intensity. I rescaped the tank to support lower light plants and and reduced the number of inhabitants. The tank was good for about a month before the green water returned. I have adjusted the light schedule to turn off during the middle of the day but the light is only on for a total of about 7 hours each day. I do about 25% water changes a week, feed relatively light, 3-4 times a week and often feed life foods.

I don't have this problem in any other tank, anyone with an understanding of LED lighting have an idea if my issue is probably due to age?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think lighting or spectrum is the culprit. My first thought would be a buildup of nutrients/organics (probably in the substrate). I fought a green water problem for a while and found that thoroughly cleaning out my substrate with a gravel vacuum and then eventually just stirring it up and changing the dirty water for clean did the trick. I kept the same light the whole time so I know it wasn't responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíll also +1 the access of nutrients, maybe do 2x 30% water change while vacuuming up the gravel or dirt and maybe try cleaning the glass with a magic eraser to eliminate any algae contributing to the nutrient cycle

SCAPE Member SCAPEr JavaJacketOC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was nutrients as well but I was hardly feeding the during the month it came back after the complete re-scape. I had 3 small tetras tat were getting a few flakes every 2 days...I just don't see how it could be nutrients

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a thorough cleaning couldn't hurt, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a UV light filter and run it until it clears. It should clear up in less than a week with a small tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Coospider-JUP...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

SCAPE Member SCAPEr JavaJacketOC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just following up on this thread. I did everything suggested (which i was doing already ) and was still not seeing the green water situation resolve. I decided to start using co2 again at a very low dosage. It's currently only about 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds but 4 days in and the water is crystal clear...maybe the plants just needed some help to out compete.

Thanks for the input all.
    Last edited by JavaJacketOC; 12-17-2021 at 06:43 PM.