Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me plan my 12 gal long

Just picked up a UNS 90B. The idea in my head is to have a low maintenance tank and eventually make it a home for a Beta.

Since it's a long, I wanted to have a sort of island of plants on one side of the tank and then leave the other side completely open with just some sand on the floor.

My first problem to tackle is a light. I don't really want a normal long led that goes across the whole tank. Was thinking of getting an AI Prime with a flex arm. I have a gift card for $100 @ marinedepot so although that light is more than likely overkill, I don't mind so much.

Next is a filter. Is a Tidal 35 too strong?

And lastly, what are some slow growing plants that are a good pair with a betta? I was thinking some different types of Anubias to start with.

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of an island of plants. Are you planning on having it be illuminated and then have the rest of the tank fade into darkness?

What are your thoughts on a light that looks more like this one?

I think a filter rated for 55 gallons might be a bit much. A mini canister filter, or one of those nano HOB ones might be better IMO.

With such a shallow tank, there's a lot of stuff you could do. For the "island of plants" idea, I think you might benefit from a lot of different textures. I can tell you right off the bat that most Echinodoruses probably will not work. Something like a banana plant might be cool. You could also attempt a moss tree. Buce is popular as well. Anubias is definitely a good idea, but if you're going with an AI prime, that might be a bit much.