Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Hello, I'm Ana

Hi everyone, my name is Ana and I live in Covina, CA. I started the hobby earlier this year (Jan 15, 2021 to be exact) during my first visit to CK Fish World. Since then, I've bugged Peter way too many times and now have 2 nanotanks - a UNS 35C cube for my betta and a 45U for shrimp and maybe chili/CPD later when it's matured.

As a child, my brother and I always had pets: goldfish, birds, cats, and dogs. My dad was a saltwater aquarist until it got to be too expensive but I have fond memories as a child of staring at his tank for hours to watch the yellow tang swim around.

My handle is "yxngscntst" which is "young scientist" because before my career as a financial planner, I was a research scientist in the fields of neuroscience and then cancer immunology. I had a lot of fun but it was very lonely and isolating, and I didn't feel I helped people the way I wanted to. So getting into this hobby allows me to exercise my old scientific skills, provides me a creative outlet, and lets me take care of pets which I always have. I haven't stopped thinking about aquascaping for a single day since January and I feel like this is the beginning of a lifelong hobby and obsession. Even if there were no forums, contests, or social media, I would still be scaping and maintaining a beautiful planted tank at home. It's exciting to find a community!

That's a lot about me but I hope to use this forum a lot in the upcoming months and years

2. Likes Milez803 liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr phuchuynh92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! be sure to post pictures of your tank, I always look for inspiration to scape new tank!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum/hobby!

SCAPE Member Just Planted jnunn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James (Jim) Nunn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome,

For a Life long hobby you could not have picked a better one. When I started the hobby tanks were made from a stainless steel frame with butyl rubber for the sealer.

Jim
    fish (noun)
    [ fi ʃ ] (fishēes)
    Water vertebrate with gills often used in aquariums as an inconsistent and inadequate source of plant fertilizers

SCAPE Member Just Planted hockeygirl882983's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kara
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Ana! Nice to meet you! I am also new to this community! Your research in neuroscience and cancer immunology sounds fascinating!! I also grew up in a family with lots of aquariums. Although, my dad only has/had freshwater. I have had fish and shrimp growing up, but I haven't had any water critters for about 7 years. I never was super serious, just keeping a couple betas, goldfish, and guppies. But now I am trying to breed guppies and work my way up to keeping many other fish. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing your posts in the future!

SCAPE Member Just Planted yxngscntst's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeygirl882983 View Post
    Hi, Ana! Nice to meet you! I am also new to this community! Your research in neuroscience and cancer immunology sounds fascinating!! I also grew up in a family with lots of aquariums. Although, my dad only has/had freshwater. I have had fish and shrimp growing up, but I haven't had any water critters for about 7 years. I never was super serious, just keeping a couple betas, goldfish, and guppies. But now I am trying to breed guppies and work my way up to keeping many other fish. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing your posts in the future!
    Thank you!!! Having a background in science makes this hobby so soothing for me! Also I hear guppies breed like crazy so Iím excited to hear about your breeding journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Just Planted yxngscntst's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunn View Post
    Welcome,

For a Life long hobby you could not have picked a better one. When I started the hobby tanks were made from a stainless steel frame with butyl rubber for the sealer.

Jim
    Thanks Jim! I will say the barrier to entry isnít too high thanks to all the new tech. Itís made starting the hobby a pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk