User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Help! Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Just Failed!

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help! Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Just Failed!

    Hey guys. My research suggests that this is known issue with these lights, so if anyone has a DIY fix, please let me know.

    I set up the tank over the weekend, plugged in the light, and it "worked"...it was stuck at 100% (I think). The remote works (verified by phone camera), so I'm guessing it's the IR sensor on the light that is broken. Since I couldn't use the built-in timer, I just attemped to hook it up an outlet timer. Something must have happened when I plugged in the timer, because now it is permanantly off.

    Am I sunk? Can the IR sensor be fixed?

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: it randomly just turned back on...it has been plugged directly into the power strip for the past 10 minutes...

  3. #3
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr jayo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it within warranty period? If so, try to exchange it.

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Aquaman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erick
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 24" finnex Ray 2 fo4 $35 in excellent condition

  5. #5
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    Is it within warranty period? If so, try to exchange it.
    No. Got it used from another member. Funny thing is, it worked perfectly when I tested it a couple weeks ago.

  6. #6
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    I have a 24" finnex Ray 2 fo4 $35 in excellent condition
    Thanks, but I think I might need a little more light...it's for a 29G.

  7. #7
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr varanidguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power supplies are a known issue with Finnex lights. Most people seem to have good luck with them, but it seems to be fairly common that a minority of them fail. Check out plantedtank.net, there's some good posts there about replacing them and troubleshooting to figure out if it's really the problem. There's even a member there who's really knowledgeable that seems to be extremely active.

  8. #8
    Moderator Master SCAPER Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I played with the 24/7 quite a bit, and the remote control sensor would sometimes be very tempermental. I sometimes thought it was broken, but it turned out that where it was mounted was getting some sort of IR interference bounced off the aquarium.

    I put the remote IR sensor underneath the tank, and got control almost flawlessly.

    It is a weird light. Ambitious at the time of its release, but not up to the end level of craftsmanship as the fugeray or stingray.

    It is fine over a 29, but is supplemented well by t5ho @ 6500 or 7000.

    Try moving your ir sensor, keeping the cord level as much as you can from the light to the ir (yes, this might seem impossible, but try and get the entire cord untangled and either on the same plane, or in a mostly direct plane with as few tangles or bends to the cord as possible).

    Also, try and use either a high end (12-16 gauge) extension cord,or plug the light directly into a gfci or high-joule protected powerstrip. Eliminate as many extension power cords on the whole circuit as you can, and make sure your equipment is on a protected panel or strip.

  9. #9
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    I played with the 24/7 quite a bit, and the remote control sensor would sometimes be very tempermental. I sometimes thought it was broken, but it turned out that where it was mounted was getting some sort of IR interference bounced off the aquarium.

    I put the remote IR sensor underneath the tank, and got control almost flawlessly.

    It is a weird light. Ambitious at the time of its release, but not up to the end level of craftsmanship as the fugeray or stingray.

    It is fine over a 29, but is supplemented well by t5ho @ 6500 or 7000.

    Try moving your ir sensor, keeping the cord level as much as you can from the light to the ir (yes, this might seem impossible, but try and get the entire cord untangled and either on the same plane, or in a mostly direct plane with as few tangles or bends to the cord as possible).

    Also, try and use either a high end (12-16 gauge) extension cord,or plug the light directly into a gfci or high-joule protected powerstrip. Eliminate as many extension power cords on the whole circuit as you can, and make sure your equipment is on a protected panel or strip.
    Thanks Nick. This is great info.

    I'll report back after I have tried all these solutions.

  10. #10
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So unfortunately that didn't work. Plugging it in directly to the wall did make it turn on instantly, rather than the 10ish minute delay when plugged into the timer/power strip. But the remote is still not doing anything.

    I don't really know much about electronics and circuits and wiring, but does this look right to anyone with that knowledge? The green wire doesn't look the same as the black and red, but maybe that's just because it's the ground?

  11. #11
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr varanidguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try a different surge protector?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
    Did you try a different surge protector?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The real issue is not the power supply, as best as I can tell. The light works, i.e. powers on. I just cannot use any of the features, due to remote/ir sensor not working.

  13. #13
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr varanidguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first step with that would be to contact Finnex to see if they can offer you any support with that.

  14. #14
    SCAPE Member Just Planted tysonjames's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2019
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tyson James
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard a lot about the Finnex 24/7 light but I haven't used it since my tank is not compatible with the Finnex light. But if you want to get more info about the light and clear out issues then you can get the info here. Hope it helps you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •