SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did all the same research your doing back when I had my Dutch Aquascape. From my research I found out that Chihiros uses the same LED's and circutry as Twinstar, its all brought in from China and put into a different housing. So pretty much your paying for the name and the fact that Twinstar makes RGB models longer than 24". But a tank that size doesn't matter. I was very happy with my 2 A901Plus' on the Dutch, plants started pearling within an hour of the lights being on. The lights are now on my vivarium.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I did all the same research your doing back when I had my Dutch Aquascape. From my research I found out that Chihiros uses the same LED's and circutry as Twinstar, its all brought in from China and put into a different housing. So pretty much your paying for the name and the fact that Twinstar makes RGB models longer than 24". But a tank that size doesn't matter. I was very happy with my 2 A901Plus' on the Dutch, plants started pearling within an hour of the lights being on. The lights are now on my vivarium.

Awesome! Your viv with the crabs? Howís that doing?

I ordered the Chihiros RGB for this nano because reports stated the color rendering was a little better and PAR should still be able to grow what I want. Once itís set up and established, gonna try to hunt down some green jade neoís...still up in the air with what substrate I want to use.

Youíre one of the neo kings around here, any suggestions? I want to use aquasoil but some people say that isnít good for neoís, to use inert. Then looked at Fluorire black sand because of the CEC it has but reports indicate itís a huge PITA to use. Although itís cheap, buying a 50 lb bag of Black Diamond for whatís basically a 10 gallon seems silly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
    Awesome! Your viv with the crabs? Howís that doing?

I ordered the Chihiros RGB for this nano because reports stated the color rendering was a little better and PAR should still be able to grow what I want. Once itís set up and established, gonna try to hunt down some green jade neoís...still up in the air with what substrate I want to use.

Youíre one of the neo kings around here, any suggestions? I want to use aquasoil but some people say that isnít good for neoís, to use inert. Then looked at Fluorire black sand because of the CEC it has but reports indicate itís a huge PITA to use. Although itís cheap, buying a 50 lb bag of Black Diamond for whatís basically a 10 gallon seems silly.
    I have the lights turned down to 50% on the vivarium. I got a whole ton of baby crabs in there right now.
    I can give you some black diamond blasting sand, another member gave me a 50lb bag and I havent even gone through half of it lol. I wouldnt worry about using aguasoil or any of the expensive substrates based on the shrimp needs, neos are super easy to take care of. Base your substrate needs on the plants your going to be planting, just make sure to cycle any active substrates for a month or two to prevent any micro cycles.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the lights turned down to 50% on the vivarium. I got a whole ton of baby crabs in there right now.
    I can give you some black diamond blasting sand, another member gave me a 50lb bag and I havent even gone through half of it lol. I wouldnt worry about using aguasoil or any of the expensive substrates based on the shrimp needs, neos are super easy to take care of. Base your substrate needs on the plants your going to be planting, just make sure to cycle any active substrates for a month or two to prevent any micro cycles.

Dude that is so rad! I canít wait to see how it progresses. Are those crabs able to live in colonies or will crowding make them aggro?

That might work. I wanted to grow an s repens carpet, crypt flamingo, maaaybe some downoi, havenít decided on any species yet but maybe some of the more colorful stems, insofar as the harder stuff. Of course want some moss, buce, anubias, maybe a smaller variety of sword like rosettes, but those shouldnít be a big deal difficulty wise. I know aquasoil isnít *necessary* for any of that, but having a nutrient rich substrate with high CEC could certainly help, yeah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude that is so rad! I canít wait to see how it progresses. Are those crabs able to live in colonies or will crowding make them aggro?

That might work. I wanted to grow an s repens carpet, crypt flamingo, maaaybe some downoi, havenít decided on any species yet but maybe some of the more colorful stems, insofar as the harder stuff. Of course want some moss, buce, anubias, maybe a smaller variety of sword like rosettes, but those shouldnít be a big deal difficulty wise. I know aquasoil isnít *necessary* for any of that, but having a nutrient rich substrate with high CEC could certainly help, yeah?
    Well, I'm kind of the wrong guy to ask for advice about the expensive substrates, that stuff is just too rich for my blood lol. I only have it in 2 of my tanks, one of which isnt even filled lmao. I have had great success using just black sand and root tabs, I grew a dutch aquascape that way in a 29g. I'll put a picture of it below.
    As far as the vampire crabs, when they get into maturity they can get territorial and fight each other. Just have to have adequate space and hiding places, and the right combination of males to females. I'll be having to sell some of mine as they get older....hint hint for anyone wanting to set up a vivarium lol.

More Tanks!

6. Likes varanidguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm kind of the wrong guy to ask for advice about the expensive substrates, that stuff is just too rich for my blood lol. I only have it in 2 of my tanks, one of which isnt even filled lmao. I have had great success using just black sand and root tabs, I grew a dutch aquascape that way in a 29g. I'll put a picture of it below.
    As far as the vampire crabs, when they get into maturity they can get territorial and fight each other. Just have to have adequate space and hiding places, and the right combination of males to females. I'll be having to sell some of mine as they get older....hint hint for anyone wanting to set up a vivarium lol.

Uh oh...time to talk to the wife lol. "ANOTHER tank?!?!" she'll say..."yeah..." I'll say. lol

I've noticed Petco sells black sand as "Imagitarium"...I wonder if it's the same as black diamond...and if it's heavy enough to plant in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to post the picture of the dutch scape with sand and root tabs lol. Light was a 30" Ray2. Also had Osmocote Plus mixed in with the sand.
    Always MORE tanks! Lol.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to post the picture of the dutch scape with sand and root tabs lol. Light was a 30" Ray2. Also had Osmocote Plus mixed in with the sand.
    Always MORE tanks! Lol.

Beautiful! What about Flourish root tabs? I was thinking about using those instead of osmocote since the tank will be dosed with liquid fertilizer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! What about Flourish root tabs? I was thinking about using those instead of osmocote since the tank will be dosed with liquid fertilizer as well.

I sprinkled the osmocote plus on the glass bottom before I put the sand in so it was out of sight. Every once in a while a piece would come up but I would just push it back down with my finger. I used the osmocote in addition to root tabs because osmocote lasts longer, if I was short on money for replacing root tabs one week it would be fine until I got em.
    I used the flourish tabs and the api tabs. I recommend buying the bigger packs online, much cheaper.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Ultum Nature 90P rimless aquarium (35.43" 17.71" x 17.71").

Just bough a 36" Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Light ($160) for the tank.

Love the light, but want to add a second "cheap light" .

I see suggestions for Nicrew.....but Nicrew does not suggest you use their lights on rimless tanks.

I also see suggestions for Chihiros.....but I really do not care for how high up the light sits.

Can anybody suggest a nice cheap LED light that goes to a 36" rimless aquarium with a "low profile" like the Fluval??

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I have an Ultum Nature 90P rimless aquarium (35.43" 17.71" x 17.71").

Just bough a 36" Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Light ($160) for the tank.

Love the light, but want to add a second "cheap light" .

I see suggestions for Nicrew.....but Nicrew does not suggest you use their lights on rimless tanks.

I also see suggestions for Chihiros.....but I really do not care for how high up the light sits.

Can anybody suggest a nice cheap LED light that goes to a 36" rimless aquarium with a "low profile" like the Fluval??
    That depends on what you consider cheap. You could try a 36Ē Fugeray or Ray 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on what you consider cheap. You could try a 36” Fugeray or Ray 2.

Half or less than I paid for the $160 Fluval 3.0

I checked prices on the two you suggested, and while cheaper than the Fluval, they are not much cheaper.

Appreciate the suggestions though....thank you!
    Last edited by tippy4; 04-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Half or less than I paid for the $160 Fluval 3.0

I checked prices on the two you suggested, and while cheaper than the Fluval, they are not much cheaper.

Appreciate the suggestions though....thank you!
    You could look at a Beamswork DA FSPEC. They have a lot of potential but you could also hook them up to a dimmer to lower the intensity. I believe the 36Ē model is $50-$60.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why wouldn't you be able to use a nicrew on a rimless tank?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to ask Nicrew....that is what they say on their marketing....

SCAPE Member Just Planted nikocobbs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    niko
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beamswork lights are pretty good, and cheap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk