User Tag List

Thread: reliable site for online(or local) freshwater livestock?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reliable site for online(or local) freshwater livestock?

I'm looking to get back into the hobby. BUT this time I'm going to do African (Tanganyikan) cichlids. I don't want hybrids. I know, I know, kinda out of the realm of SCAPE, however I figured that the network of knowledge her would be something I could tap into. That being said, can anyone point me in the the right direction for a source of quality Tanganyikan cichlids (small ones, Julies, Lelupi(sp), Brichardi) either in the SGV or online? Thanks in advance for your time
    Dave

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter at CK can get just about anything you are looking for- he got me some beautiful fish when I was doing my Malawi tank
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

3. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed, contact Peter if he doesn't have them there is a good chance he can order them.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strictly Fish in Lakewood usually has an awesome assortment of those. Or you can order them on Aquabid.com. lots of awesome rare fish on aquabid just make sure to review the sellers ratings some are more reliable than others.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus one for ck... can't beat em....

online you're looking at spending the cost of the fish on shipping... if it's your last resort (as it was mine recently) you can always go for a group buy and collectively pay for shipping... I just got very healthy, and kinda hard to find, cichlids from wetspot... was very happy too... great customer service as well... be careful with online sellers too, wetspot is very good... others have issues with packaging too many fish in individual bags with no consideration of ammonia and or aggressive behavior when stressed... if you're gonna pay more re shipping, specify with the company how you wish ur fish to be shipped... good sellers will meet your needs and request...

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies I happen to work very close to CK's in Covina. I didn't realize they could/would special order for me. this shop is really cool anyone in the area should check it out.

8. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted Jtxxzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also can recommend CK/Peter! I'm there every week and if you have a SCAPE card, they'll take 10% off.

Nolan's Aquariums in OC has a small room dedicated to African cichlids and hand selects the higher end varieties. He's hosted SCAPE club meetings in the past.

Can +1 for Wet Spot in Portland! Quality shipping at a low cost. They always find really cool strains of common species, and have every oddball I've ever searched for.

I can highly recommend Dan's Fish. He does the most thorough quarantine process in the business and has amazing customer service.

A newer store, Red Fish Blue Fish, has high quality European bred fish. Definitely much better than any farm bred fish. Plus there's unique strains of popular fish (Double black rams are *chefs kiss*). Prices are fair and Jason offers great customer service. I think it's a one man show over there, but he always gets back to me whenever I have a question.

If you're looking for something rare, that you're not going to find at a LFS or on the wholesale lists, you gotta get in touch with Wes Wong aka Fugupuff from MFK. Dude has a stellar track record and you can do local pickup in LA.

Also a big fan of AquaBid. There's many well known breeders on there for just about any species you're looking for including plants and fishkeeping accessories.

I've also had really good luck on the BAND app for rare plants and from COAST club auctions/members for locally bred livestock.
    Last edited by Jtxxzy; 10-14-2022 at 07:57 AM.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr joethecinbeng's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jonathan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol i think most people doesnt know that Aquahuna exists. Cheaper than all stores and flat rate shipping of $13 for any amount of fish. Fish they have is healthier than any stores I have been to

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually bought from Aquahuna, shipping is 13 bucks. All galaxy rasbora & Juli Corby arrived healthy and still good.
    +1 for Wet Spot Tropical too, ordered a few time from them. Great selection for Apisto.

SCAPE Member Just Planted gFrontosa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Gerry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am bringing Lamprologus Gold Ocellatus shell dweller to the auction. I also have Juli Ornatus and these babies are full grown 2.5 - 3.00 inches. Will not be bringing the Ornatus since these type of fish dont do well at SCAPE auctions.