Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bob jones
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RO water filtration system

I have very hard water therefore I need to filter it when I do my water changes I use a filter from Walmart that is similar to the pur brand. Is this okay or do I need to buy the expensive RO filter? I'm keeping red cherry shrimp. I have tested the water and it says it's 00 so it seems to do the same job, just wanted opinions

SCAPE Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Bala de plata's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can you provide a link to the filter your using? If it is really filtering to 0 TDS it has to be have DI within it which does not make it similar to a pur filter.

I would think that these will exhaust so quickly that the economics of using those filters as opposed to buying a RO filter will make more sense.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Windyhillquiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bob jones
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr otterfun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    KC Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested the TDS of my filtered water from a PUR, it only reduced it by 20pts from the tap water. I will test the chlorine reduction later tonight with my 6 in 1 Tetra test strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Eriberto
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the ions exchanged in the filter is Calcium and magnesium to salt. Not sure if that is such a good idea cause excessive salt would be a bad thing and lack of calcium and magnesium would be bad as well, there is no way to know exactly how much exchange is actually going on either or how much salt or sodium chloride is being produced by the exchange resin.

I have extremely hard water and I don't filter it with RCS,CBS, amanos and Ghost shrimp, if you don't want to use tap just go RO and the Ca, Mg back to it, best way.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Harvey Moiseiwitsch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Adam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing. The water in my area is very hard and i have been thinking on buying a RO unit.

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr alidium's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like some people are using these for nano tanks (source: google search) however, with hard water out of the tap you're going to need to keep on top of replacing filters as they will degrade faster and if you need lots of water at a time, this would just be a little impractical. I also feel like if this system was as great as it sounds like it is for the aquarium hobby, a lot more people would be posting about how great it is.

Pricing for standard RO units isn't terrible, especially when you consider you might not have to replace the filters nearly as often. Here's a few models I've seen people post about on various forums:
    $60-ish range:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...ROROTS-vi.html
    http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog...roducts_id=246

Around $100 (and a SCAPE sponsor!)
    https://airwaterice.com/drinking-wat...tem-50gpd.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero water is meant to filter water for human comsumption, it does reduces the tds to 0 however It might not be as good for aquarium since whatever for good for human doesnt mean it is good for aquarium hobby, also the filter only good for 40g of rp water and it costs over $10, so it is a lot of expensive than using ro water system that are meant for aquarium.