SCAPE Member SCAPEr whitepapagold's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major catastrophe last night... Main pump went out and the CO2 jacked the oxygen levels way down and most of the fish died...

Spend 5 hours today trying to save what I could and cleaning and redoing all the filters etc.

I have no idea how many fish made it but not many... Probably 1-2 Khuli loaches, 1 neon and 2-3 Glolight danios. ****. I don't care about the cost... watching them gasping and dying just sucked. I changed water as much as possible as soon as I woke up but it was too late.

Bought my power head at tongs but called 405 Fish and asked how much they charge... The list of the Rio I use is $89, but they wanted 120?????? I just laughed at the guy, said I would never shop there again and hung up. Tongs at least sold it to me for 79 (though online its 60...) Its getting harder and harder to support my local fish stores with treatment like that.

405 Fish is a joke... 30 above list... Imbeciles.

Everything is back up and PH and oxygen are back to normal pretty much.

I think I'll get more Glowlight Danios and a school of Cardinal Tetras...

What a day.

2. Thanks walzon1 thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, not even an april fools joke?

So sad to hear this.

I don't blame you.

I will pay any lfs up to 10% over list, but 38% over? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Oh man, not even an april fools joke?

So sad to hear this.

I don't blame you.

I will pay any lfs up to 10% over list, but 38% over? Wow.
    Yeah not a joke... But at least the tank got a deep cleaning and I re did the filtration media.

I won't pay over list- list is NOT the price it sells for- even in a LFS. List is the price manufacturers set so the store can sell it for less and market it like its a deal while still making a reasonable profit margin.

LFS often mark things up REALLY high to gouge ignorant 1st time tank buyers, then if you ask them about the price and why its so high, they will lower it down.

But its a business practice thats offensive to me...

I NEVER expect them to match online pricing but paying list or more is them taking advantage of you.... Sadly its been like that for 30+ years in my experience... Long before the internet.

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about this Joseph. Hopefully everything works out in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Sorry to hear about this Joseph. Hopefully everything works out in the end.
    Thanks I really appreciate the support. Found one of the Khulis dead this morning, but I wasn't surprised as he was in really bad shape from the gassing. The other is doing really well though.

In the end, the only fish that made it were 1 bumblebee goby, 1 otto, 2 glowlight danios and 1 Khuli.... Only lost a few shrimp that I can tell.

So I got a school of 20 Cardinal Tetras and 10 ottos. Took it slow acclimating them for over 3 hours. So far so good!

I guess the good side is I always wanted to switch the neons out with cardinals as all the neons always had weird genetic defects... Thats a fish thats been genetically messed up by the aquarium trade. Tom Barr is totally right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible news! Hoping your tank has a speedy recovery.

On Duty 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never forget the fallen! Well that's good, glad you were able to swap out for cardinals. I always feared keeping cardinals, neons were always easier to keep. I agree as well most neons I have ever kept had messed up mouths, exposed gills, crazy eyes, curved spines, or short tails etc. etc. all sorts of stuff wrong with neons. Inbreeding man...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss, i feel you. Back then i had about the same problem with co2,my fish died.
    Last edited by dealend; 04-03-2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Cant find the source of video over youtube.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Never forget the fallen! Well that's good, glad you were able to swap out for cardinals. I always feared keeping cardinals, neons were always easier to keep. I agree as well most neons I have ever kept had messed up mouths, exposed gills, crazy eyes, curved spines, or short tails etc. etc. all sorts of stuff wrong with neons. Inbreeding man...
    You nailed it- those are the exact issues mine had.

Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    I watched the video about cardinal tetra over youtube long time ago.

In their origin habitat in amazon river, they are all cardinal tetra. Since the demand is so high and became popular many people were trying to breed them.

They got breed in different way from their origin, and came out as neon (a mutation/defect cardinal tetra). So now you know why the neon price is cheaper than cardinal,because they are actually defect.

Sorry for your loss, i feel you. Back then i had about the same problem with co2,my fish died.
    Really interesting info- thanks! I had no idea.

The good thing is so far, though its only been a day, the cardinals seem to be doing really well. My main concern is the hardness- with all the rock in the tank it tends to be high. Everything else is right on for them. I bought them from Tongs and they weren't cheap BUT the tank they keep them in is RO and they all looked SUPER healthy for a week (I actually seriously considered buying some before the incident last week).

They also had glowlight danios- thats the other school I want to add (like 15) BUT they weren't doing great. A bunch died, floaters in the tank, and when I checked a week later 1/3rd were gone... And I seriously doubt that was because someone bought them. They don't sell well because most only see them in the store where they look like crap... compared to when they are healthy in a planted tank.

I had no idea about glowlight danios until I bought some dwarf crays from a guy on here in Laguna. He had a school and they looked... INSANE! But the last group I got from Tongs didn't do well at all... So I was leary this time and turns out I was right. Kills me cause the small school I had looked INSANE too!

The only thing I don't like about Cardinals is their size- I prefer small fish to make the tank look bigger and the Neons tend to be a bit smaller at full size.

They are really beautiful though! Fingers crossed!

I'll keep looking for glowlight danios and may do a quarantine in the hospital tank with some from Tongs. (the last batch from Tongs killed off some of my current school AND died...) The ONE left is really aggressive with the other fish now. I need to get more or put him in the hospital tank...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    I watched the video about cardinal tetra over youtube long time ago.

In their origin habitat in amazon river, they are all cardinal tetra. Since the demand is so high and became popular many people were trying to breed them.

They got breed in different way from their origin, and came out as neon (a mutation/defect cardinal tetra). So now you know why the neon price is cheaper than cardinal,because they are actually defect.

After looking into the above, it appears to not be true.

Can you point me to any supporting information? Everything online shows multiple areas where they are native in the wild- not a breeding defect.

Not giving you a hard time but it appears to be misinformation in the youtube video you saw...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
    After looking into the above, it appears to not be true.

Can you point me to any supporting information? Everything online shows multiple areas where they are native in the wild- not a breeding defect.

Not giving you a hard time but it appears to be misinformation in the youtube video you saw...
    Let me see if i can find them. Its been a while.

So after i opened up the youtube and tried to find the video i watched last time, i missed it.

I will just edit my early post due to lack of information i can provide.

Will be back to edit when i found it.
    Last edited by dealend; 04-03-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Iam a newbie looking for guidance from all senior

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to sound like a jerk but you get what you pay for... cheap rio pumps for a beautiful system like that doesn't make sense.

Pay a little more for quality brand like eheim or sicce.... the pump is the heart and lungs of the system - definitely not a place to try to save $20-30.
    Please be advised: I am no longer on the Board of SCAPE. See the current list of directors/officers by clicking the link in the shortcuts bar above or here.

Tank options???

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 80g community, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises, 2x uromastyx, 3x Asian water monitors

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo

1x dog

14. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    Hate to sound like a jerk but you get what you pay for... cheap rio pumps for a beautiful system like that doesn't make sense.

Pay a little more for quality brand like eheim or sicce.... the pump is the heart and lungs of the system - definitely not a place to try to save $20-30.
    I have used Rio's for YEARS and YEARS without issues... I didn't buy it because it was cheap, I bought it because I have never had any issues. But I do agree with you that your post is "jerkesque" after my weekend... Ridiculous.

Next time maybe just advise "try an Eheim, they tend to perform better and longer than the rio" instead of the internet try too hard post. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cardinal tetras are doing killer! I pulled one and put him in the hospital yank as he was a little off in color and activity but he's doing well in the hospital tank.

The other 19 are just awesome! REALLY prefer them over Neons so far!

Also saw another Khuli so theres 2 that made it!!!! And the Buce is still doing great. I can't believe how many Ive pruned and spread about!

Optimistic for 2017!

17. Likes ACalmADDFreak, Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some more cardinals and 20 glowlight danios. All fish are doing great!

The buce is just going nuts...

19. Likes swoof, sc91006, ACalmADDFreak liked this post