Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Papas 125g Ancient Ruins Petrified Wood tank TIME LAPSE VIDEO 10/22/15

NOTE- all pics are in this first post (scroll down) to make it easy to see the evolution! Videos at bottom of post. I now call it "My 125G Petrified Wood Freshwater Reef" for longevity and simplicity! Tank started 6/22/2010

Wanted to share my tank as Ive purchased the Anubias Petite and others here. Plus its a little different than most...

I should clarify all of this with-
    I have always been consumed with creating a freshwater reef. Ive done salt water reefs for over 20 years but I no longer want that level of maintenance. I only have 2 tanks now- this a and a 60 gallon which is just a trash tank/hospital tank for this one. This tank is still my favorite of all time, reefs included!

Its inspiration was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... then the large slab of petrified wood I bought made it feel more OG side scrolling platform games. Then once it started to develop it leaned towards Tomb raider and as the Anubias roots grow out- its really lookin legit!

Ive planned this tank for 15 years but never found a statue/bust that didn't look cheesy... Then my friend in Africa sent me the one you see here that I grew the Java Fern head dress on. That triggered the entire change (as this tank was a reef tank up until June. I had needed to change to freshwater for a while... the bust made it come together)

Then a few weeks of eBAY rock shopping and 800 dollars later... (though 1/3 of that was shipping!) Voila! I sold my reef tank for good money (just the contents) so I had more than enough to cover start up!

EQUIPMENT-

Note on equipment- the tank was bought used for only 60 bucks about 6+ years ago LOL... Then this past summer (2015) I decided to go big... Apex controller, Custom regulator and BML multi- channel LED... Ive kept aquariums for over 20 years and never spent much.. until now. Its made a brilliant hobby even more fun! If you don't know what an Apex controller is- check it out. My fish tank has internet access! It was stupid expensive though...

125 Gallon Clear for Life uniquarium
    BML 60" MC Series Dutch 6300K LED fixture (front)
    Home depot 2 x 54w T5HO - one roseate/one 6500K (rear)
    Neptune Apex aquarium controller (most fun Ive ever had with a fish tank!)
    Alan Le custom CO2 regulator
    Tom Barr CO2 reactor

PLANTS-

Anubias Petite
    Anubias Coffeefolia
    Fissidens Fontanus
    Subwassertang
    Java Moss
    Mini Velvet Buce and others Im too lazy to list...

STOCK-

The UPDATED (4/20/17) current stock list-
    20 Glowlight Danios (Danio Choprai/Choprae) -my new favorite fish!
    2 Khuli loaches
    26 Cardinal Tetras
    ? Amano Shrimp
    1 Bumblebee gobies- living mostly off live cherry shrimp! Best color Ive ever seen...
    11 otos
    a boatload of cherry shrimp
    a few other species of shrimp I forget (tiger, the brown ones LOL, others I can't remember!)
    a boatload of Malaysian trumpet snails

Note on stock list- notice thats not a large bioload for a tank of this size. I think current recommended levels are too high in general. Just a thought.

TANK EVOLUTION-

Day after reef switch

sand, anubs and Harlequin Rasboras (I later decided against them)

first batch of rocks, more plants

THE SLAB ARRIVES!!!!!

tier added, gully dug

more plants

the full 200lb lot of petrified rounds added (on top of the prior pics- yep 200 more lbs...) and end of rock additions, hill built

addition of Snow Bengal kitten and ADA 60F for him (hes sleeping on top cause I covered and hes annoyed!)...

BML 60" MC Series Dutch 6300K installed- dual T5HO front fixture removed (now LED front, T5HO rear)
    The color is actually BETTER but the light is brighter and the pics are washed out from it...

OTHER PICS-

1st baby crayfish Ive found!!!!

VIDEO-

New TIME LAPSE video- from 10am to 1am (15 hours in 2 minutes!)
    Last edited by whitepapagold; 04-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cody
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it. I am not usually a fan of statues and stuff but that looks amazing in there. The anubias look so good and the idea of a java fern head dress is great. The petrified wood is amazing. Some of the best i have seen.

I see some what looks to be rasbora espei. What other fish do you have in there?

Need more pictures!

Super Moderator Super Duper Master Scaper Zzyzx85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for creativity.
    - Steve "...that one guy who's always afk"

Banned 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER xmas_one's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can dig it! I like seeing someone do something different for a change. Not to mention that tank is going to look crazy once it's filled in a bit..Anubia roots creepin' down over the rock...

cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Pete
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!!! I love the placement of the petrified wood and plants, very beautiful

The Anubias look great in your tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mikey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Amazon themed! just not the flooded Amazon.

I've always wanted to do Amazon temple scape with UG growing out of the cracks between rocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Deric
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digging the Ruin Aztec forest theme.

$400 for wood is pricey, (my mistake, it's not just $400 for the top piece. but all of it) if I were you, I'll try expanding foam and just cut yourself some stepping like the wood.

I think ornaments like the bust is fine to use in an aquarium, as long as you complete the look. Just don't be putting Lara Croft or Indiana Johns swing by his whip. (Unless you can pull it off).

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr chris.rivera3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the exact same thing...the roots from the anubias will resemble vines coming down on ruin walls!

Quote Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
    I can dig it! I like seeing someone do something different for a change. Not to mention that tank is going to look crazy once it's filled in a bit..Anubia roots creepin' down over the rock...

cool

SCAPE Member SCAPEr whitepapagold's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!!!

The slab was expensive- 100 bucks. BUT the majority of cost OTHER than that has actually been SHIPPING!

I probably spent about 150 on all the other rock (minus slab). Honestly, Ive been shopping petrified wood for years, and hardcore for months. Full rounds with knots are expensive- the most I paid was 40 bucks for a 30lb full round! And 40 for a 35lb round with a knot. I dont know anyone who has found better petrified wood at these prices! Unless you buy auction/lots of it...

I would never, ever use strofoam. Ever. Or anything non natural. Or even a base rock. Nope, this is 100% petrified wood. I just changed this tank over from a reef- a buck a pound is crackers compared to the 300lbs of live rock I had!

BTW everyone- 3 weeks ago, this tank was a full saltwater reef and had been up and running for 3 years... Once I found the rock, I sold everything inside...

I TOTALLY agree about NOT liking statues in the tank but I took 15 years finding the right pieces- mainly the slab and the bust. So I really did try to avoid the "tacky" factor!

Ill post pics in a day or so but heres the list for contents-

13 Harlequin rasboras
    10 celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras
    7 panda coreys ( No joke I buy them because of south park sexual harrassment panda.. Im totally not kidding... that and they stay small. But I could go pygmy... nope. Dont say that, dont touch there, dont be nasty says the silly old bear!)
    40+ cherry shrimp - thanks Des
    20 amano
    2 khuli loaches
    15 otocinclus- (Im ALWAYS in the market for Zebras if you have any to sell!!!!)

Anubias coffeefolia
    Anubias nana
    Anubias barteri
    Java Fern

Ill be adding a couple more khuli loaches ( waiting for black ones ) and a few hillstream loaches. I also have 10 more coffeefolias coming.

Thanks again for all the support! As you can imagine, a lot is lost in translation via a photo... I have 2 lazy boys infront of the tank and a flat screen 42 inch TV above it... I can feel myself getting fatter and lazier... Once done, I may never move around again...

OH and the nice thing about selling a reef tank is it pays EASILY for EVERYTHING Ive purchased so far! Now thats a beautiful thing!

10. Likes rickztahone liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr itzjustjeff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !! that looks nice =]

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    night time...

Another rule broken... Actinic/Blue LEDs... They are on 16 hours a day... From 12 am to 2 am it looks like the picture above.

I admit I love the nature aquarium style but this tank would make Mr. Amano twitch!

Ill post other pics - closer shots, this week. The first shot in the thread really doesn't do the rocks justice...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closer shots- Still waiting for 2 more rocks and the coffeefolia. Done till next week...

President of the United SCAPES of America 10,000 posts, I am legend! Neon Shrimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Richard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the otos and cories grouped on the white sand. Was it feeding time or do they like to sometimes spend time in the front of the tank?

"Support Your Club":
    Please Sign Up to Host a Meeting (CLICK HERE)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Shrimp View Post
    I like the otos and cories grouped on the white sand. Was it feeding time or do they like to sometimes spend time in the front of the tank?

It was about 15 minutes after feeding time! Good eye!

I do a REALLLLY long feed, whenever possible, and shut off all the pumps. They love to run the sand for a while afterward snarfing the leftovers... I also grind the food down (flake, cyclopeeze and pellets) so it leaves a nice vacuum style food source for them!

These were shot prior to turning the pumps back on...

Which are on remote control... I bought a remote controlled power plug just for these feedings! I randomly turn it on and off to blow the food around as they feed... gets it back in the water column for the rasboras.

I think I need psychiatric help...

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Mr Brownthumb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Awesome tank! Me, not so much...

Ok here's a little backstory. In my first major attempt at a planted (20g high), I tried to give these stone statues a java moss 'fro' and goatee. Didn't work out too well. WTH was I thinking? Look! It's starting to turn brown there already. It eventually died. Anywho, I had the lights on way too long and didn't know what caused all the diatoms. Notice the bubble river decoration in there too... Good times. Your tank is kinda the look i was going for... Me - fail. But you captured the vibe... Can't wait to see it grown out.

PS - I remember all the plants i put in there except the one with the silver molly in front. ID please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brownthumb View Post
    Ok here's a little backstory. In my first major attempt at a planted (20g high), I tried to give these stone statues a java moss 'fro' and goatee. Didn't work out too well. WTH was I thinking? Look! It's starting to turn brown there already. It eventually died. Anywho, I had the lights on way too long and didn't know what caused all the diatoms. Notice the bubble river decoration in there too... Good times. Your tank is kinda the look i was going for... Me - fail. But you captured the vibe... Can't wait to see it grown out.

PS - I remember all the plants i put in there except the one with the silver molly in front. ID please.

**** Night at the Museum... I look at your pic and keep waiting to hear, " Did dumb dumb bring more gum gum?"

I like it! Im a fan of campy and new thinking! I LOVED the nature aquarium style but now, its done to death... Time for a new style!

Its weird... I took a break from fresh for about 15 years. In that time, Takashi went from relatively unknown to the fundamental planted aquarium style. I always hated dutch aquariums and Takashi was a breath of fresh air!

Now I come back and everyone expects Nature Aquarium style... Screw nature aquarium style. I love the Japanese tradition of going with nature but they tend to be quite rigid in the end. Takashi was brilliant- the rest are just chasing him...

My friend saw my tank and got inspired to do a trash, broken bottle tank...

Thats what Im talking about...

And I cant say enough how much I love my blue LEDs...

BTW Mr. Brownthumb, are those bamboo shoots growing out the top? My friend doing the trash tank wants bamboo and asked about it. Ive never grown it. How was growing it?

Im no help on the red plant- I hate red plants... I have issues...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was bamboo shoots. my sister had them in her betta bowl. i don't know how much it actually grew. kinda hard to tell if it grew at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
    **** Night at the Museum... I look at your pic and keep waiting to hear, " Did dumb dumb bring more gum gum?"

Im no help on the red plant- I hate red plants... I have issues...
    Yeah, one of my boys picked out the Dum Dum head. It's now in his GSP brackish water tank.

BTW I was yanking your chain on the plant ID. It's plastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brownthumb View Post
    BTW I was yanking your chain on the plant ID. It's plastic
    Got me! I just saw red and ignored it... I really hate red plants... Even plastic ones apparently!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

updated pic

updated pic-

Took out the harlequin rasboras with the intention of buying a school of black rasboras BUT... Those celestial pearl danios... So freakin cool. I just bought 10 more of those for a total of 20. All from eyecandy.

I wonder if Ill just stick with the CPDs...

Im waiting on 9 more coffeefolia rhizomes and 2 more rocks/petrified wood. I also want to grow coffeefolia over the petrified rounds to the left- where the plank separates the trunks- to give the illusion of a single trunk.

I caught 13 rasboras out of this tank as you see it... and it was sooooooo easy.... My favorite trick is a looooong big clear bag- then once they swim in it, you can net them super easy!