Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Cherry Shrimp

(formerly Neocaridina denticulata sinensis "Red")

Original Image: http://img152.imageshack.us/i/p1mk3.jpg/

Common Names

- Red Cherry Shrimp
    - Cherry Shrimp
    - Fiery Shrimp

Abbreviations

- RCS

Distribution

High - Can be found at chain stores such as ?Petco

Water Parameters

Temperature: 55-85 F
    Ph: 6.3-7.8
    Enjoys Light Alkaline Conditions

Diet

Omnivorous

Eats: algae, fish food, invertebrate food, algae wafers, etc.

Breeding Behavior

Rate: Fast (Once every 1-2 Months)
    Reproducing Type: Heterosexual
    Produce Benthic Fry

Overview

The Red Cherry Shrimp is a red color morph of the wild Neocaridina heteropoda found throughout Asia and Hawaii. Breeders in Taiwan fully bred out the red coloration on this shrimp and today, the Taiwanese continue to heighten the intensity of their shrimp. Being the second easiest shrimp to care for in home aquaria, the Red Cherry Shrimp is a hardy species that easily accepts different water parameters. In this article, I will explain the grading system for these shrimp and its rich background.

Coloration

The Red Cherry Shrimp is a selectively bred specimen that is from a wild Neocaridina heteropoda which is translucent with minor speckles on its body. Shrimp keepers in Taiwan found a red shrimp and from there, we have the Red Cherry Shrimp. The females of this shrimp are red and can range from lightly speckled to a vibrant full red, this all depends on grade. Males are usually translucent with light speckles of red; however, some males in the Fire and Sakura grade lines have been known to appear just as vibrant as the females. The female can also get a stripe that runs down its body, which is normally pink-yellow in coloration. Some argue that it is a factor of age, yet I disagree as many higher graded shrimp lack this stripe.

Difficulty

The Red Cherry Shrimp is one of the easiest shrimp to care for in home aquaria. It thrives in almost all non-extreme environments and is literally the "rabbit" of the shrimp hobby. Red Cherry Shrimp ship extremely well and can even survive almost freezing conditions. As the grades of this shrimp go up, so does the difficulty. Water parameters must be kept stable in order for the higher grades of this shrimp to thrive.

Sexing

This shrimp is extremely easy to sex as it follows the common Caridina shape. The female will be larger, have a saddle, have a more rounded abdomen and will be vibrant in color while the male is translucent, small, and skinny. The males in the higher grades of this shrimp can only be classified by their abdomen shape, so sexing is a bit harder.

Original Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/...33ca96.jpg?v=0

The picture seen above is a male Red Cherry Shrimp. You can see the coloration difference between the male and female as the female is much darker and has a "saddle".

Breeding

This shrimp's incredible breeding speed also makes it extremely popular. Breeding occurs monthly and the females hold the eggs for about a month. When the female molts, she releases a pheromone into the water column and the males know of her and will swim around mindlessly to find her. If you see females swimming with the males, that can be a sign of water parameter issues. They are just like guppies with legs, add water, you have shrimp!

Grading

Now, the grading system. Red Cherry Shrimp have been selectively bred and now two higher grades exist. The prices of these shrimp are depending on the breeder, but usually go for the same price. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

?Darren Poon * In no way do I own this image in any way*

The Sakura grade Red Cherry Shrimp originates from Japan. These shrimp's whole body is covered in a translucent red that is very similar to Caridina serrata var. "Wine Red or Ruby Red". The price goes higher the deeper the red is and how solid the coloration is. They are a little more finicky of water parameters, but any Ph from 7.0-7.5 will be fine and temperatures should be kept at 74-78 F.

?Wilber Hsieh * In no way do I own this image in any way*

The Fire grade Red Cherry Shrimp have come from Taiwan. They have a much more vibrant and "pastel" like coloration compared to the Sakuras. They add a burst of vibrant color to a tank and are simply magnificent. The grade increases in how solid the red coloration is and how bright the red is. These shrimp are more fragile than the Sakura grade, so parameters should be kept stable at a Ph of 7.2-7.4 with temperatures of 74-76 F.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Being the second easiest shrimp to care for in home aquaria>
    What is the first, Ghost shrimp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Amano or Ghost Shrimp...

Justin

Super Moderator Super Duper Master Scaper Zzyzx85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? I've had less problems keeping RCS than ghosts. Not to mention they breed like rabbits when conditions are right.
    - Steve "...that one guy who's always afk"

SCAPE Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr guppies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amano is the easiest, ghost shrimps die easily.

Board Member 10,000 posts, I am legend! Neon Shrimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Richard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great profile Justin, please keep posting them

My vote would be Amano shrimp for toughest, remember Rick's shrimp that took a 1 month vacation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce Watts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two berried females. Is there any special care or feeding for the young?
    "Happiness begins where selfishness ends" John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Richard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Bruce, there are no special care aside from making sure the filter intake is covered with fine mesh/sponge so that they will not be sucked in. I tend to feed Musura Bio Plus and Shirakura Baby Food in my CRS tanks and Hikari First Bite in my RCS tank. I think the main benefit of this is the small particles of food help to ensure that there is food available for all babies. There should be more than enough algae, microorganisms and food particles in an established tank for the babies to do well in a shrimp only tank.

Hope they do well for you Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joanna
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is rugular OC tap water okay for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Richard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JOJO View Post
    Is rugular OC tap water okay for them?
    Yes Joanna, just make sure it is treated first.