Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

questions

I recently got back into planting my tank and have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered by members of the group. First off my tank is very low tech but my plants are doing alright, although some of the plants are turning yellow around the edges(These are plants that I bought at petco in the tubes, so I think this might be normal from what I have read off the internet. The plants that I bought from my lfs are doing well. I have java fern and anubias and sword plants. I have the flourish fertilizer that I dose with water changes and root tabs under the swords. the anubias are stuck between rockwork and the javas are glued to rocks( doing fine) The second question I have is about my driftwood, it has gained an amount of "fuzz" I was told this would be normal and I could get a plecostomus to eat it or scrub it off and it would eventually go away. How long does the fuzz stay there ?and can some on give advice/ experience for a pleco that stays small (i have ottos, and I don't want to add a large pleco to the tank)

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in my opinion since you have a new tank (new soil and rocks) and your dosing fert your tank is going to have a abundance of nutrients in the water and the algae (fuzz) is going to try and suck it all up, you need to do more water changes and figure out what’s the right amount and/or The amount you dose. Also other plants can help extract the extra nutrients as well as the amount of time your light schedule is set to, that being said most plecos get big, I know Columbia’s zebra (fake zebra pleco) is a small variant, as well as other plecos that you can research on, all and all a tank doesn’t get balanced into atleast a few months but it all depends how your tank is set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I converted it from an African Shelldweller tank, and before that it was a African peacock tank been up for over 2 years(got tired of all the fighting and aggression), the substrate and rocks have been in there. the filter have all been running for over 2 years. As far as dosing I follow the direction on the bottle the Flourish. the guy at CK's said i would get the fuzz and it would go away on it's own or I could scrub it off or plecos, would clean it. I wish I would have remembered what kind of wood it is, does anyone know how long the fuzz is supposed to last? I have had black algae in other tanks, i don't think this the same stuff I could be wrong.
    thanks for the reply
    JD
    PS I've been researching pleccos and those zebras are cool but $$$$$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L046 are $$$$$ (zebra pleco)
    I think there going for 120 for a baby or so haha, while those are my favorite pleco I was referring to is L129 fake zebra or Columbian zebra which go for 10-15$, send over a picture of the “fuzz” your referring to get a better idea of what your facing, your right your soil shouldn’t matter as it’s already been established, maybe the fuzz can be from the wood as some wood release bacteria from wood and can cause plenty of algae blooms as your tank is new to it, you can boil your wood to try and release it all but it’s never 100% as that can take years to release through water changes, I fought that same battle with my driftwood and to much light and i battles black hair algae with no luck of winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks victor,
    I does seem as if the "fuzz" is going away. I'll send a pic so you can see what i'm talking about. I really don't want to do the "she swallowed a spider to catch the fly....." so I'd rather not do plecos. So I think I'm just going to be patient and deal with it and scrub it away if I need to