User Tag List

Thread: Dry start ended, planted tank up an running, opinions?

SCAPE Member Just Planted jnatelowe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph Nate Lowe Henk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry start ended, planted tank up an running, opinions?

So I ended my dry start with marsilea crenata, flame moss, and s repens. The marsilea and the moss are both doing great, while the s repens seems to be just exsiting. It hasn't died, but it hasn't grown that much, either. I flooded the tank and spent way to much money (according to my wife) on aquarium plants to fill it up. From H2O Plants I I bought some hygrophila blue, fissidens nobilis, and some random buces, from CK Fishworld I bought some vallisneria spiralis, limnophila sessiliflora, anacharis, java fern, anubias nana and nana patite, crypt parva, crypt wendtii (either bronze or brown, I'm not sure), an unidentified crypt (I think it looks like Lucens, but the guy at the store didn't know and thought it might be a young wendtii green), and some downoi (pogostemon helferi). Algae also exploded into the tank almost immediately, so I added four nerite snails (and a daily dose of Prime) a week later.

plantedTank01_1.jpg

I had planned to to put a sponge filter in as well, since I intend to add shrimp later but, since it's a Walstad tank, I've read this isn't such a good idea. So now I'm debating whether to just run the sponge filter at night (I read on another forum that this is better, since the plants aren't taking in CO2 then) or just use an internal filter or submersible pump to add a little water movement. Any thoughts?

2. Thanks SamSam563 thanked for this post
    Likes SamSam563 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Samuel
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you use aqua soil or just sand? The plants will flourish from the ammonia in the aqua soil and will help them out compete the algae. Your going to have alot of trouble beating algae in a full sand tank i think. Injected co2 and limited light is a good way to limit algae growth. Daily dose of prime and some fertz are good too.

What some people do is use aqua soil as the base and they cap it with sand on top. That way the plants can still feed from the soil

SCAPE Member Just Planted jnatelowe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph Nate Lowe Henk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has organic garden soil with a sand cap. I didn't want to get into CO2 at this point, but I may have too much light for a non-CO2 tank. Not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a good way of dimming your light, being able to control light levels is so useful for a planted tank. If you have an LED light it's pretty easy to find a good timer/dimmer that lets you program sunrise/sunset and different light levels through the day. If you've got non-LED, you can look into raising the lights higher (and probably there are lots of other clever methods).