Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

co2 injection problem leading to algae growth

Hi,
    My tank is now about 8 months old, and for the past few months I've struggled a lot to keep algae under control--especially BBA and GBA. I've removed it where possible, spot-treated with a syringe and Excel, and did a big pruning of plants and scrubbing of the rocks, which nearly eliminated it, but it's now back after a few weeks. I think the problem is that I've never been able to keep the CO2 levels stable in my tank. I have CO2 injection, but keeping a steady flow of 1-2 bubbles per second has been nearly impossible. The needle valve on my regulator is extremely sensitive--a turn of barely 1-2mm to the left and it goes from less than 1 bubble per second to more than I can count. It takes me at least 5 minutes every few days of using my thumbnail to barely turn the valve back and forth to get to a count of just over 1 bubble/second. But then it speeds up or slows within a few days. My Co2 checker goes from bright blue to yellow within 5 hours of the injection starting unless I monitor and adjust it several times a day. So...is this normal? is there a trick to these needle valves that's eluded me? Or do I maybe have a faulty regulator/valve? posted a pic of it below, if that is of any help. (I have the injection come on 2 hours before the tank light, and shut off 30 minutes before the tank light. Tank does not get any direct sunlight, but the room is modestly bright, so tank does get some ambient light before tank lights come on, which are on from noon to 6pm daily). Would greatly appreciate any guidance/advice on stabilizing my CO2 levels and/or the regulator. Thanks!

IMG_1617.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a poor needle valve. Good ones can keep the bubble count steady.

3. Likes Swank, Jawaeater liked this post