Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from plants_and_puffer

Hi everyone! This is a much delayed official hello to the SoCal Scape Club. I've been a member for about a year and browse occasionally but have never actually posted. Some of you may follow my @plants_and_puffer page on instagram but my real name is Paul.

I'm definitely a beginner aquascaper and fishkeeper. Never had fish tanks growing up and have only been in the hobby for a little over a year. Like a lot of people, it's one of those things that I became kinda obsessed with after stumbling into it, almost on accident. My wife and I googled for a fish store thinking we would get a few small fish for a "pond" (pretty much a bucket of water with some experimental plants) on our small patio. It turns out that our LFS is none other than Nature Aquarium in Culver City which is only about a 10 minute walk from our apartment. We were amazed by the beautiful aquaecapes that Toru-san the owner had created.

Long story short, we ended up buying one tiny pea puffer and subsequently named him Alvar, 'Al' for short. Had no clue how to take care of Al at first.. had him in a tiny bowl. Quickly found out that was not okay and went back to Toru-san to get educated. Walked out with my first fish tank, the ADA 45F (5 gal) shallow tank pictured below. Tons of trial and error and learning from the online community. Ryan (ry_the_scape_guy) was tons of help to me early on and continues to be an inspiration, so many thanks indeed.

The small 45F shallow tank has undergone continuous tinkering and rescaping. Currently building a UNS 90L (21 gal) with hakkai stone and manzanita driftwood.

I've rambled a bit but mostly I just wanted to say hello and thank you to this great community!

- Paul

wave scape 1.jpg

2. Likes Bongox3, John7429, bw.aqua, Jawaeater liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank looks great for being just a beginner! Welcome to SCAPE.
    smalls.

4. Likes pdfig liked this post
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!
    Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 300g monster fish, 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 75g African cichlid, 7g planted, 6.7g planted,

Reptiles: FRT, Sulcata, Leopard Tortoise, Cuban Rock Iggy

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x green cheek conure, 1x halfmoon conure

3x dogs

6. Likes pdfig liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted pdfig's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Paul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking tank...dig the unique rock positioning....well done!