Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potentially looking for roommate in LA

Mods: if parts of this are not allowed, please let me know so I can edit out the relevant parts!

So I might be moving to LA in the next month (tentative confirmation date: January 4)? It's still a long ways away but I want to plan as best as I can. Additionally, I'm still not even sure if I am moving (potential employer is getting stuff together). LA is expensive in comparison to where I am currently. Really expensive. And I think, the best way to save on the expenses is to have a flatmate. If any of y'all know somebody who is looking for a roommate, I'd like to ask if you could share this with them to see if we might be a match!

Quite obviously, the flatmate has to be very okay with multiple aquariums (like, we're talking racks of aquariums here). But, there're a few other things the flatmate has to be okay with as well. Here's a bulleted list of things:
    - Must be gainfully employed (or a college student: college students will need to work out a plan for winter/summer breaks or other times when they are not in residence).
    - Must be able to pay their share of the bills on time.
    - Must be Queer friendly
    - Pet policy: reptiles, fish are okay in common space. birds, small mammals are okay in flatmate's room. cats and dogs are unfortunately not allowed (fur allergies are hell).
    - Smoking/Marijuana/Vape policy: Edibles are fine, just keep them in your room. I ask that any flatmate who smokes do so outside, or utilize a device that minimizes the smell (bongs, etc.) in order to minimize causing an asthma attack on my end.
    - Hard drug policy: Nope. No drugs, sorry.
    - Alcohol policy: Yeah go for it. Just don't get super drunk and pour alcohol into my aquariums or houseplants.
    - Plant policy: I want a jungle. If you want a jungle too, we can work out who gets the light.
    - Food policy: I won't eat what you buy, you won't eat what I buy. Exceptions for staples such as rice, flour, sugar, butter, etc.
    - Composting Policy: I have european night crawlers and grindal worms for the sake of composting/feeding to my fish. Roommate must be okay with vermicomposting within the apartment.
    - Allergen policy: I ask that roommate not directly eat nuts or nut products (trail mix, snickers, etc) unless in the confines of their own room (said products should not be vermicomposted). While I am allergic to seafood, I am willing to risk it as long as the roommate thoroughly washes all utensils used in processing said seafood immediately (we will have a separate allergen board) after preparing the seafood, and further sterilizes by pouring boiling water on top of all utensils used.
    - Neatness: I don't care about the state of your room. I do ask that you don't leave dishes in the sink for more than 8 hours (i.e. wash your dishes after you're finished eating). I also ask that you keep your articles of clothing relatively neat (piles of jackets near the walls are fine, jackets strewn all over the common space are not).
    -COVID-19 and sick policy: You must wear at least a mask when outside, and follow proper sterilization procedures (we can establish this in conversation). If you get sick with COVID, then you need to tell me.
    -Social Policy: subject to change post pandemic, but if it's within your bubble, then fine. Just...don't bring somebody to do the do with every night. Once or twice a week is fine, but I ask that the rest of the time you do it at their place. I may or may not ask for the first names of people you invite to the apartment for safety reasons.
    - References: do you have any and can they vouch for you?
    - Legal stuff: If there are things that you are doing that are not legal (drugs, trafficking, etc), then I don't think we're a good match :/ . Oh, but if you're like, doing work for some ~websites, then that's fine.

I'm sure there'll be more things to pull up as well, but that's all I can think of for now.

About me: I am a 24 year old college graduate with a passion for aquariums, cooking, baking, and sometimes dancing, looking to get into caring for tropical houseplants. I care about my roommates, so if you get sick, chances are likely that I'm willing to stop by the store on the way back from work to pick up advil/tylenol, as well as whip up some homemade food for you in order to help you get better. Cooking wise, I like to do a big batch of food on the weekends, and then just eat that throughout the week. I do have plans to acquire a costco card. I do have a partner, but we are in a long distance open relationship. I like communicating whenever something gets on my nerves so that we can fix whatever issue pops up. I do identify as neutral-liberal on the political spectrum, but nowadays seem to be learning more and more left. During the weekends (post pandemic), I plan to either stay at home, or explore a different restaurant, zoo, or aquarium. I am looking for one person (or an established couple) to share a 2 bedroom apartment with for a period of at least 2-3 years. In regards to COVID-19, I am an extreme social distancer, and take incredibly high precautions. I have not gone out more than once a week/month since the pandemic started. In regards to apartments, I have estimates of up to $11,000 for TOTAL expenses (including rent, water, electricity, etc.), but am hoping to not spend that money and funnel it into a retirement account.
    Last edited by ichthyogeek; 12-13-2020 at 12:13 AM.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr joethecinbeng's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    jonathan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what an insane leftist

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Vincent Tran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vincent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joethecinbeng View Post
    Wow, what an insane leftist
    This guy seems very particular and knows what he wants/ doesn't want... but insane leftist?

4. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tran View Post
    This guy seems very particular and knows what he wants/ doesn't want... but insane leftist?
    Thank you. I don't really consider myself to be overly leftist? Like...I definitely identify as more left/center-left than center/right. But I've heard some insane horror stories about bad roommates, so it's best to get all of the things I'm not willing to compromise on right on the table so any potential roommates know exactly what I'm not willing to go easy on. I like to think that as long as boundaries aren't crossed, I'm a fairly chill person. Certainly not insane.

6. Likes swoof liked this post