User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Water flow

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member Just Planted GeeBeeH's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sherman oaks
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Water flow

    I recently planted some ludwiga repens and it's drastically messed with my water flow. I don't know if I should be concerned or not.

    My outflow and inflow lily pipes are both on the left side of the tank pointed right. The outflow close to the front glass and inflow glass to the back glass.

    After planting the repens in the back middle of the tank, the water seems to get "stuck" at the repens. There's a lot more stagnant bubbles above the repens.

    Should I be concerned?? Should I be trimming the repens down? They are basically at the surface water in length. Lastly I do also have some anachris planted in the back right of the tank but that wasn't stopping the flow at all.

    Edit: I can get pics up later today if need be.

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr RyTheScapeGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us pictures of the pipes placement, tank and what you're talking about in terms of water being stuck. Ideally you want the pipes to be next to each other (not one in the front and one in the back)

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    SCAPE Member Just Planted GeeBeeH's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sherman oaks
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyTheScapeGuy View Post
    Show us pictures of the pipes placement, tank and what you're talking about in terms of water being stuck. Ideally you want the pipes to be next to each other (not one in the front and one in the back)

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Here's how it looks right now
    https://imgur.com/a/yxscgf5
    Last edited by GeeBeeH; 10-01-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added better photos from imgur

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr RyTheScapeGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would move your inlet pipe closer to your outlet pipe.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  5. Thanks GeeBeeH thanked for this post
    Likes GeeBeeH liked this post
  6. #5
    SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    2,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would trim it up. Usually when a stem plant reaches the surface I trim down to a couple inches tall (as long as there is leaves down that far) and let them regrow. If the tops of the plants block too much light at the base, the base of the plant will lose its leaves and then you will have lush upper section of the plant with bare stems half way down. Increased plant mass can cause reduced flow throughout the tank as well. I would do as Ryan recommended and shows in his picture and move both lily pipes toward the front of the tank more.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  7. Thanks GeeBeeH thanked for this post
    Likes stormvisions, GeeBeeH liked this post
  8. #6
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr BossLoRd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    La Palma
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to have my outlet and inlet in opposite sides of the tank. It increases flow and prevents freshly filtered water from getting sucked up right away by the inlet.

  9. Thanks GeeBeeH thanked for this post
    Likes GeeBeeH liked this post
  10. #7
    SCAPE Member Just Planted GeeBeeH's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sherman oaks
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I would trim it up. Usually when a stem plant reaches the surface I trim down to a couple inches tall (as long as there is leaves down that far) and let them regrow. If the tops of the plants block too much light at the base, the base of the plant will lose its leaves and then you will have lush upper section of the plant with bare stems half way down. Increased plant mass can cause reduced flow throughout the tank as well. I would do as Ryan recommended and shows in his picture and move both lily pipes toward the front of the tank more.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RyTheScapeGuy View Post
    I would move your inlet pipe closer to your outlet pipe.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Trimmed up the stem plants. They did grow a bit out of control and will stay on top of maintaining them. Moving my inlet might be a bit of a problem though. In trying to be as clean as possible, I drilled holes in the top of my cabinet to allow the tubing to come through.
    https://imgur.com/a/uWF29UM
    Last edited by GeeBeeH; 10-07-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: grammar

  11. #8
    SCAPE Member Just Planted cr9cristiano's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Lakewood
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Omar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyTheScapeGuy View Post
    Show us pictures of the pipes placement, tank and what you're talking about in terms of water being stuck. Ideally you want the pipes to be next to each other (not one in the front and one in the back)

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Why is that, as opposed to one in the front one in the back?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •