Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad crazy glue / rotting anubias

Hey all- having an unusual problem in the big tank: all of the anubias I either transferred over from the original set up or that I bought new from CK are gradually rotting away.

It started as a couple of yellowing leaves, which I attributed to going low tech and reducing the ferts, but over the last couple of weeks while rhizomes are essentially just falling apart.

No significant changes in the tank except for the layout, and stopping CO2, which the anubias shouldn’t be affected by.

The only thing I can think of is that I switched brands of crazy glue gel to Gorilla because I could get it in a larger size. Is it possible that brand has something different in it than I have used before and is harming my rhizomes?

There are only a few plants that are doing ok- and they are the ones I didn’t glue.

At this rate, every anubias I glued will be gone in another week- I am devastated.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue with my buce. It is the glue sometimes when you overuse it too much or cover too much of the rhizome it damages the plant. Sometimes a little melting is normal since you are transferring to a new tank, which put it in shock. I usually just try to tie down rhizome plants with fish lines or use rubberband and let it slowly attach itself later on. I also like throwing in the plant and letting it float for a few days in a new tank. Best of luck hope they bounce back.

3. Likes Swank liked this post
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDTimmy View Post
    I had a similar issue with my buce. It is the glue sometimes when you overuse it too much or cover too much of the rhizome it damages the plant. Sometimes a little melting is normal since you are transferring to a new tank, which put it in shock. I usually just try to tie down rhizome plants with fish lines or use rubberband and let it slowly attach itself later on. I also like throwing in the plant and letting it float for a few days in a new tank. Best of luck hope they bounce back.
    Thanks for that insight. I was “tie down only” for years- before gluing was even a thing- but I had so much to do with this tank, I took the fast route. Lesson learned.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never had a problem with gorilla glue gel (green cap) if it was a lot of plants I’d think m it had something to do with the tank, maybe a co2 bloom that may happen when your co2 can or tank runs out, it could have stressed them, or maybe other nutrient deficiency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk