Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Andres
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killed all my shrimps and assassin snails

I have a neglected tank that have been running for about 2 years. It is a planted tank. The extent of neglect was: no cleaning or water change for a year, filter not cleaned that the flow turned into drops. The only thing I would do was top off with straight tap water. Yet, my colony was surviving. I had a couple days off and thought about cleaning it. Did a massive clean up of about 2 50% water changes in a span of 2 days. Everything seemed fine. The shrimps looked like they were excited that their home is clean and they were actually grazing on the algae on the rocks. For me the tank was looking great. All the sludge in the bottom was gone. It was about half an inch thick of muck that I cleaned out. Woke up this morning and every single one of my shrimp and snails are dead. I am devastated and felt guilty for cleaning my tank. Should have left it as it was.

I have an idea of what went wrong but feel free to chime in. I feel like the sudden change of parameters shocked all of them.

Sorry. More like a confessional than anything. Just really bummed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tank + Soil + Plants + Light + H2O + CO2 + Filter + Fish - Algae = Bliss
    Current Tank:
    14 gal Iwagumi
    Past WorXs:
    4 gal Iwagumi, 15 gal Mountain scape, 10 gal Iwagumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o_cube View Post
    I have a neglected tank that have been running for about 2 years. It is a planted tank. The extent of neglect was: no cleaning or water change for a year, filter not cleaned that the flow turned into drops. The only thing I would do was top off with straight tap water. Yet, my colony was surviving. I had a couple days off and thought about cleaning it. Did a massive clean up of about 2 50% water changes in a span of 2 days. Everything seemed fine. The shrimps looked like they were excited that their home is clean and they were actually grazing on the algae on the rocks. For me the tank was looking great. All the sludge in the bottom was gone. It was about half an inch thick of muck that I cleaned out. Woke up this morning and every single one of my shrimp and snails are dead. I am devastated and felt guilty for cleaning my tank. Should have left it as it was.

I have an idea of what went wrong but feel free to chime in. I feel like the sudden change of parameters shocked all of them.

Sorry. More like a confessional than anything. Just really bummed about it.

was definitely from over cleaning. My old fire red tank was a very low maintenance tank aswell and had a massive colony. Never do more than 30% a week on those types of tanks.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Jawaeater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Garrett
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your kh was very high from topping it off with tap for a year. A sudden kh change of more than 3dkh on shrimp can cause osmotic shock from what I've read. They usually die a few days after the swing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 50% water change in 2 days is quite a big shock for a tank that you haven't changed in a year. Shrimps are pretty sensitive. Unless you did water change regularly I wouldn't a big 50% on top of doing it again the next day. Small water change every week should have possibly prevented this.

SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically what everybody else is saying. Whenever I came home from college, I would either not touch the shrimp tank, or do very small water changes and work my way up to big water changes.

For example, on the 29 gallon system, I would start off by doing maybe a 5 or 10 gallon water change. I wouldn't trim plants, or anything else, just change the water out. The next week, I might vacuum a bit, and the next I would trim the (very overgrown) stem plants. All on 10 gallon water changes. And if it was really bad, then I might do a 20 gallon water change. But I would always spread my water changes out, never doing water changes for around 3-4 days afterwards.

Moderator Master SCAPER Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, you have really got to go easy on shrimp tanks
    They will live in any environment if they are transitioned slowly; part of the reason why everyone selling shrimp here indicate the parameters which they are in at time of sale.

An important note for keeping shrimps in general is to find out their parameters at time of purchase.

Re: assassin snail.

There is a great likelihood of them just building a mucus plug while they wait out the parameters getting to a parameter they are accustomed to.

Snails are quite a bit more resilient than shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss....but thank you for posting this. I have been doing 50% water changes every few weeks lately.....and now that I look more closely...my population seems down.

Gonna do smaller, more frequent changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.I.P