Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't get Ich to go away...

Hey guys, it has been a long time since I dealt with Ich, and never in a fully planted tank.

I had a break out 5 weeks ago in my 20L- luckily I noticed just before I added a new apisto pair.

I read that I shouldnt use malachite green or methelyne blue because of the damage to the plants, so I am trying the Kordon "natural" remedy. I also raised the temp to 89 degrees.

The Ich has slowed spreading, which is great- haven't lost any of the fish (kubotai rasbora and daisy rice fish)- but it won't go all the way away, either. There are still 2-3 spots left on about half the fish.

Any suggestions on how to finally defeat it once and for all?

I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Hey guys, it has been a long time since I dealt with Ich, and never in a fully planted tank.

I had a break out 5 weeks ago in my 20L- luckily I noticed just before I added a new apisto pair.

I read that I shouldnt use malachite green or methelyne blue because of the damage to the plants, so I am trying the Kordon "natural" remedy. I also raised the temp to 89 degrees.

The Ich has slowed spreading, which is great- haven't lost any of the fish (kubotai rasbora and daisy rice fish)- but it won't go all the way away, either. There are still 2-3 spots left on about half the fish.

Any suggestions on how to finally defeat it once and for all?

Not sure if ParaGuard treats ich as I don't have the bottle in front of me but I have used it a couple of years in a plants shrimp tank and have found it totally safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always treat Ich with temperature and water changes. I have lost fish due to Ich only when I treat with Ich-X or Nox-Ich. I raise the temp over 85, usually to around 87 and keep it that way until I see the Ich go away. I also do daily water changes to remove as many of the cysts out of the water column as possible.
    I am currently having a bout with Ich on one of my tanks as well and this is what I am doing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I always treat Ich with temperature and water changes. I have lost fish due to Ich only when I treat with Ich-X or Nox-Ich. I raise the temp over 85, usually to around 87 and keep it that way until I see the Ich go away. I also do daily water changes to remove as many of the cysts out of the water column as possible.
    I am currently having a bout with Ich on one of my tanks as well and this is what I am doing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Kole

I will step up the water changes and see if that helps tip the balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ichx and heat. Slowly up the temperature to like 81-82ish and I dose ichX. But I underdose by 10gal and do the remaining 10gal the next day. So if its a 70gal, I dose 60gal worth, and then the next day I dose the 10gal worth. When I up the temperature I add an airstone. hotter water doesn't hold as much oxygen. So having a stong airstone is crucial for survival of the fish. I will leave the tank with the medicine and temp for about 10 days and then slowly drop the temperature. I actually do not do that many waterchanges unless I want to change medicines being used. Personally havent had to deal with Ich in awhile due to treating my fish with ichx whenever I introduce new fish. I will redose the entire tank even if there are no symptoms. Catching it early is always better than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    I use ichx and heat. Slowly up the temperature to like 81-82ish and I dose ichX. But I underdose by 10gal and do the remaining 10gal the next day. So if its a 70gal, I dose 60gal worth, and then the next day I dose the 10gal worth. When I up the temperature I add an airstone. hotter water doesn't hold as much oxygen. So having a stong airstone is crucial for survival of the fish. I will leave the tank with the medicine and temp for about 10 days and then slowly drop the temperature. I actually do not do that many waterchanges unless I want to change medicines being used. Personally havent had to deal with Ich in awhile due to treating my fish with ichx whenever I introduce new fish. I will redose the entire tank even if there are no symptoms. Catching it early is always better than later.
    Does the IchX affect your plants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the IchX affect your plants?
    Haven't seen it affect my plants in anyway. The heat will affect your plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Haven't seen it affect my plants in anyway. The heat will affect your plants.
    I was worried about the heat, but they seem to all be doing fine- and I have it cranked up to 89 at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was worried about the heat, but they seem to all be doing fine- and I have it cranked up to 89 at the moment.
    I said that, and then noticed today my mermaid weed has totally dissolved... shame, I really liked how frilly it was getting. Everything else seems in good shape, though.

10. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could try putting all the fish in another tank without plants or gravel while treating them. The ich in the planted tank will eventually die out without anything to use as a host.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    shawn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the ich isn't going away. Its most likely living in the substrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Could try putting all the fish in another tank without plants or gravel while treating them. The ich in the planted tank will eventually die out without anything to use as a host.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Interesting idea! I actually could have done that pretty easily. Dang.

14. Likes Jawaeater liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If the ich isn't going away. Its most likely living in the substrate.
    Well, technically Ich is pretty much always around, all the time- it is more about controlling the outbreak, but I know what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news- in some weird cosmic joke, as soon as I posted this, it started to get better. Today I saw no specks at all. Going to continue with my regimen for another week to be sure.

I got some Ich-X as suggested, but I have been nervous to use it in the planted tank. I am keeping it for the QT tank, though.

Thanks, everyone!

InActive SCAPE Member Just Planted robmcd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Robin M.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had some issues with ich in the past few months but I simply raised my temps to 85+ for a couple weeks and they sort themselves out.
    " as sure as the sun may shine, I'm gonna get my share of whats mine..." **Jimmy Cliff**

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So bummed.

Just as the tank is finally ready for the apisto pair to get moved over, the male kills himself by getting lodged between the pre-filter sponge and the inlet. Dang. He was so beautiful, too.