User Tag List

Thread: Hello All! (Are you into manzanita?)

SCAPE Member Just Planted dannybricks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All! (Are you into manzanita?)

Hi, I'm Dan and I live in Julian, in the mountains of San Diego County. I have lived all over SD County, Poway, City Heights, Oceanside, but fell in love with the mountains.
    I recently purchased some land to put a house on for my family. I have had several tanks in the past, but soon I will have a permanent home, and can build the aquarium of my dreams. I plan to fund the aquarium project through the sale of the manzanita that I have to remove to make space for our house. Seriously, there's a lot.
    So I guess my question is, when it comes to using manzanita as aquarium material, what works?
    Most of the trees and shrubs have branches that have died and dried out to look like literal driftwood. Some have branches that a portion has died leaving branches with strips of living green wood along with strips of dead wood.
    I've seen some people sandblast the bark off before selling it or using it in their aquarium, but I think that takes away from part of the appeal of it by stripping away the beautiful red bark. In the near future I will have a backhoe to yank out the trunks and root mass that could produce some nice pieces of spiderwood.
    So Please, let me know what works best. What do you prefer?
    Thanks a lot!
    Dan

Big Branch.jpg
    Giant trunk.jpg
    Driftwood.jpg

2. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion the branches with bark look cooler but it eventually falls off. The stuff sand blasted just keeps things with a uniform appearance for longer.

I am always interested in be sources of hardscape but you are a bit far for those of us north of you. Good luck on your endeavors.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Danny! Wow. what a "first content discussion" post!

Yes! Manzanita in all its forms is an excellent hardscape.

In general, most folks just take the raw form of it all and BOIL IT in a large stock pot, or similar.

In my experience, I used to use a whittling knife to trim off the bark, but a sand blaster is useful.

Generally, the boiilng is the only truly necessary party, just to make sure all the unwanted hitchhikers and potentially hazardous chemicals remaining on them get an opportunity to leach out of the water.