Real Name
    Vinh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adding a canister filter to AiO

Hi,

Need some advice. My freshwater JBJ Rimless Flat Panel 65gal AiO has been running for a year now. The filter seems to get really dirty every week. I usually change 25-30% of the water weekly, and when I do, I clean out the filter media. The tank water is pretty clean throughout. I try not to overfeed (clowns are the main occupants). But considering the amount of gunk in the filter media each time... I was thinking of replacing one of the two 396gph return pumps with a Fluval 407, The remaining return pump would continue to function as intended, but the 407 would add it's filter capacity to what would already be "cleaned" water, by intaking from the sump area and outputting through the 2nd return nozzle into the tank.

Has anyone done this? Is it advisable? Or should I just leave things to work as intended since the water parameters are good and the fish happy?
    Last edited by tw33kerloki; 07-19-2020 at 03:03 PM.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr tw33kerloki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vinh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since it's an AiO, and not a sump sitting in the stand, below the aquarium,... I don't have to worry about the canister's flow going down over time as the media gets clogged and this throwing the output/intake balance out of whack and flooding or sucking the sump dry. It'll self-balance. Alternatively, I can leave both return pumps, and put both the intake and output from the 407 in the sump and not output to the tank directly.