Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone!

My nameís Mike. Iím a horticulturist specializing in rare and unusual plants. Although Iím in Miami, Florida, I joined anyway because there donít seem to be that many active online communities dedicated to this sort of thing.

In my younger days, I worked with exotic animals, so Iím not exactly new per se, but thereís always something new to learn.

For those of you interested in terrestrial as well as aquatic plants, Iím always happy to make suggestions and help in sourcing plants that are a little more special/unusual than what youíll commonly find available.

Iím currently planning a 40G paludarium build. Not making even the slightest attempt to go naturalistic with this one; itís going to be all about the ďwowĒ factor. Going with black substrate and rocks for contrast with the rest of the build. All terrestrial and aquatic plants will be white and green variegated. Aquatic inhabitants will include different brightly-colored Caridina/Neocaridina and neon tetras on one side, with a GFP axolotl on the other. Also going to incorporate a few showy poison dart frogs. Planning on running two lines of CO2 (one above water, one below) through a dual-phase regulator. Thinking I may be pushing it with the axolotl and might need a bigger tank.

2. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium Plants View Post
    My name’s Mike. I’m a horticulturist specializing in rare and unusual plants. Although I’m in Miami, Florida, I joined anyway because there don’t seem to be that many active online communities dedicated to this sort of thing.

In my younger days, I worked with exotic animals, so I’m not exactly new per se, but there’s always something new to learn.

For those of you interested in terrestrial as well as aquatic plants, I’m always happy to make suggestions and help in sourcing plants that are a little more special/unusual than what you’ll commonly find available.

I’m currently planning a 40G paludarium build. Not making even the slightest attempt to go naturalistic with this one; it’s going to be all about the “wow” factor. Going with black substrate and rocks for contrast with the rest of the build. All terrestrial and aquatic plants will be white and green variegated. Aquatic inhabitants will include different brightly-colored Caridina/Neocaridina and neon tetras on one side, with a GFP axolotl on the other. Also going to incorporate a few showy poison dart frogs. Planning on running two lines of CO2 (one above water, one below) through a dual-phase regulator. Thinking I may be pushing it with the axolotl and might need a bigger tank.
    Welcome Mike! There are very active aquascaping and fish groups in Facebook groups with members from all over the world. There's another fish club here in SoCal called COAST that is mainly focused on exotic and hard to find fish friends. There's another highly active group in Seattle that has deeper pockets than we do (LoL). Here's their websites:
    https://www.gsas.org/
    https://coastfishclub.com/

As for your tank, I recall axolotls require a minimum of 20gal and you are on the edge adding more stock in that half full 40 gal. They are super hardy though and you might be able to get away with more frequent water changes and/or raising that water line to add more volume.

We also love to see pix of your creation/s.