Real Name
    victor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost srhimps disappearing?

Yeah, u heard right...
    I have a 20gl plated tank with an average of 78F. No carpeting plants just yet, and a CO2 mini system. Airstone. Aqueon shrimp substrate.
    No dead bodies, water parameters still the same, nothing in the filter, my dojo loach didnt change in size and while i was in the process of adding shrimp, i started feeding the dojo loach 1/3 more. Hopefully he could get more food and dont feel the urge but this type of fish are ALWAYS looking for food so idk if it worked.
    Also i dose the tank with seachem flourish/excel/iron in small ammounts, less then 5ml for iron once a week, 10ml of excel 2 times a week and 8ml of flourish twice a week as well. But i do have CO2 system, simple one, with difusor. I have an airstone on a timer, night only, when the plants are not doing photosynthesis.
    No activated carbon in my tetra 40g filter. ZACRO LED blue/white light (its pretty bright)
    I have some neon tetras,rescued livebearers and 1 male blue ram, also i have alot of regular small snails, some hiden spots and duckweed.
    Parameters today : KH about 135ppm, water slightly alkaline.

Edit: i never dealt with algae in this aquarium, this clean up crew that i have i super good i guess.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to believe that it might be your male ram that is the cause of the disappearance of the shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Just Planted Denzel Motun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    victor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavoAkop View Post
    I would like to believe that it might be your male ram that is the cause of the disappearance of the shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For real? My blue ram never chase them, never pick on em, eat twice daily, dont fight with nothing...why you think of that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure they're not just hiding? Also, they eat their dead. I was removing a dead ghost shrimp once, and one of its companions dashed out and grabbed the corpse from my net. It's possible you've lost one or two, and the others consumed it before you noticed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    victor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
    Are you sure they're not just hiding? Also, they eat their dead. I was removing a dead ghost shrimp once, and one of its companions dashed out and grabbed the corpse from my net. It's possible you've lost one or two, and the others consumed it before you noticed.
    That could be the answer, but what is killing them in first place? I mean, okay, we found out that dojo is not fatter, blue ram could be doing something but i dont notice it, and that shrimps eat their friends when they die. But maybe the shrimps are competing for space then? Or Seachem products could be harming them, and the weak dies and strongers survives? I always acclimate, and they dissappear like 1 each week.

And yeah, i know each hidden spot, cause its a 20g with no carpeting yet. In about 2 days i will throw some seeds in there.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr phuchuynh92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the good causes are either listed or disproven. I think one thing that wasn't mentioned is the use of Seachem Excel. I have a basically full bottle of excel because it keeps randomly killing things in my tank when I use it, no matter the dosage. It has a lot of side effects that can harm things so I decided to not touch it again. just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchuynh92 View Post
    all the good causes are either listed or disproven. I think one thing that wasn't mentioned is the use of Seachem Excel. I have a basically full bottle of excel because it keeps randomly killing things in my tank when I use it, no matter the dosage. It has a lot of side effects that can harm things so I decided to not touch it again. just my 2 cents
    Interesting I never had any issues with excel and used it in many tanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    victor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im here to give you guys an update: since i stopped dosing seachem Excell in my tank, adding a co2 diffuser, the new shrimp added didnt dissapeared.

HOWEVER, i have 2 other tanks which i tried srhimps and both receiving Seachem Excell doses, one is the 2pg long which shrimps didnt seem to survive well, maybe they couldn't similate to the water parameters and predators. The other tank, a 4.6g rimless, has 8 shrimps, young and adults surviving pretty good without any harms.

There could be that, dosing seachem excell, does not effect the life of your shrimp, the water parameters regulation kills them, the predators kill them as well (loaches, catfish, and others)

(All tanks have the same food style for the shrimp, all tanks are tropical american fish, water parameters are slightly different on them, all shrimp were/are from the same source)