Real Name
    Ian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introduction

Hey SCAPE Community,

I am new here and am excited to see such a great place for discussion and information.

I am a Marine Biologist by trade and have spent most of my time out exploring the costal waters of Southern California. I LOVE the Kelp Forest! Talk about such an amazing aquatic plant. Did you guys know that its one of the fastest growing?? In optimal conditions, its been recorded growing up to 2' per day. WOWZA! The only other plant that can grow that fast is bamboo (terrestrial...I know.....). In my personal journey, I've gotten some great experience working on restoration projects and even some R&D in commercial production of giant kelp through intensive aquaculture. Challenging work for sure, but rewarding when I got to see the results.

I have to admit, the aquarium hobby is relatively new to me. Especially the freshwater side of things. You see, I had been building a hatchery for shellfish seed production. A recirculating aquaculture system that was on track to make its debut in March of this year. Well, I think you all know this story, but 2020 sure had some different plans. With such a disruption to things, I had to make some decisions...

In our office, we had some freshwater tanks that housed some healthy populations of Caridina shrimp. This was more of my business partners hobby, but I probably spent every minute of my break time staring into these tanks watching them grow and breed. We had some Red Galaxy w/Fishbone genetics, Red King Kongs, Black King Kongs, Orange Eyed Blue Tigers, Blue Bolts, and Crystal Red Shrimp. Quite the collection. And they were growing like mad! When the world turned upside down, they provided a sort of break from the madness. I'm an observer, and watching those little guys constantly feed and pick over every square inch of the tank defiantly calmed my nerves. I'd watch my tanks grow over watching the news or spending far too much time on social media any day.

That's when the lightbulb went off for the both of us. We really had something here. What if we focused our efforts on shrimp breeding? We knew aquaculture. We were highly motivated. We had an entire facility at our fingertips. That's when we decided to make our move and start Ebi-Zen. It was a no brainer!

So we got to work, adapting what we had to turn a portion of our facility into breeding freshwater shrimp and growing aquatic plants. Its been a journey for sure, and we are still pushing forward through these trying times. We at least had a solid base to start from. Our colonies had been growing and we have been taking great care of them from the start. In fact, we now have some available for sale on our website. www.ebi-zen.com. Check it out! We are two passionate folks who want to grow with the hobby and become a U.S. producer of dwarf freshwater shrimp. We have been specializing in the Caridina variety, but also have a healthy colony of the Green Jades, from the neocaridina genus, that have been producing like MAD.

That's our introduction. We would love to hear from you guys though. What do you look for when you make your next shrimp purchase?

Cheers!

Ebi-zen

SCAPE Member SCAPEr RyTheScapeGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member SCAPEr AquaGreenThumb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great intro. welcome to SCAPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

SCAPE Member Just Planted Elysium Plants's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ian!

I just joined, too. I’m a horticulturist by trade. Look forward to geeking out over plants and animals with you!