Real Name
    Zoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betta Sorority!

Hey guys!

I want to build a betta sorority in the coming week or two and I'd love some advice on it. It is going to be between 10-20 gal and have at least 4-5 bettas.
    Any recommendations on scape? I know there needs to be hiding places for the bettas but does it need to be like little caves or are rock/wood dividers fine? Do betta fish prefer any specific plants? I tend to stick to different kinds of moss, amazon swords, and/or anacharis egeria densa. Also! Any tank mates? (Preferably cute schooling fish or small guys.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing since you said sorority you know they all need to be females?

I've never done it but my brother has. I dont think it matters what plants you use as long as they are thick enough for hiding if needed. As far as rocks/structures it probably doesnt matter. If you want to go cheap/easy you can get those clay tubes that are attached together (usually 3 each). They seem to like those.

For tank mates a schooling group may over crowd the tank depending on the size you go with. Whatever you decide do you home work as some fish might be nippers and you dont want the Betts getting injured. Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just set one up around a month ago.
    I agree that having plants or coverage for your bettas are helpful, not only to allow them their own alone time, but sometime I catch them resting on the plant life.

I think the important aspect, that I dont think I did well, was introduce/integrate them into the tank properly.
    There is one female that is more territorial than the others (the red/white dumbo ears) ... and coincidentally, she is the only one I purchased from a different vendor
    The rest are from Tucky's in Hacienda Heights.
    betta_sorority.jpg

4. Thanks TheSixthEver, John7429 thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know bettas like to sleep on top of leaves so I would suggest getting some large leaf plants for them to get some shut eye.

Get a lid. I had a tank with 4 beautiful koi bettas and the worst thing is coming home to find one dried up on the floor.

Post some pics when you get it up and running. Good luck!

6. Likes TheSixthEver liked this post