User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Trying to find out water parameters near Woodland Hills

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2020
    Location
    West LA (soon!)
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trying to find out water parameters near Woodland Hills

    Does anybody live near the Woodland Hills area on the west side of LA? I'm trying to find a rough estimate of water parameters in that area (pH, GH, KH), especially with the water that come out of the tap. I'll be moving to LA relatively soon, and would love to prepare as much as I can for the move, since my fish stocking list is dependent on what the parameters are like where I am. While I am going to buy an RO/DI unit, I'd rather not have to be constantly reconstituting water if possible.

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
    Does anybody live near the Woodland Hills area on the west side of LA? I'm trying to find a rough estimate of water parameters in that area (pH, GH, KH), especially with the water that come out of the tap. I'll be moving to LA relatively soon, and would love to prepare as much as I can for the move, since my fish stocking list is dependent on what the parameters are like where I am. While I am going to buy an RO/DI unit, I'd rather not have to be constantly reconstituting water if possible.
    I live in Winnetka and we have relatively good water. 125-175tds, KH of 3, GH of 4-6. Almost perfect for any soft ware tropical fish like discus etc. I've been able to consistently drop my ph with leaves close to 5ph. If you are on the same water supply, you will have no issues with plants! However I've strugged with neocaridina until I started adding kh/gh+ from salty shrimp.

    We do however have high chloramines so make sure you choose a decent dechlorinator. I use seachem safe/prime. Any ammonia test kit will read high ammonia too out of the tap, but its bonded ammonia and goes away quickly in a tank. Overall I'd say we have great water compared to some people who have liquid rock.

  3. Likes ichthyogeek liked this post
  4. #3
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2020
    Location
    West LA (soon!)
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow! LA's starting to sound like a fish paradise....I still have some equilibrium and alkaline/acid buffer from SeaChem, so hopefully I can work with that! What's the pH of the water pre-leaves? And for the chloramines, do I need to double dose or anything, or is it generally safe to follow the instructions on the bottle?

  5. #4
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
    Oh wow! LA's starting to sound like a fish paradise....I still have some equilibrium and alkaline/acid buffer from SeaChem, so hopefully I can work with that! What's the pH of the water pre-leaves? And for the chloramines, do I need to double dose or anything, or is it generally safe to follow the instructions on the bottle?
    before leaves the ph is 7.8 but keep in mind the kh is very soft. You can have it lower with just driftwood in the tank. Usually I've had it stabilize around 7.6ish but a lot of my tanks I use leaves because why not . As for the chloramines, In general I just meant to say get a good quality dechlorinator. Most of the newer ones like Fritz Complete, Seachem Safe, Prime, and a few others out there will work. Just don't use the generic ones from petsmart/co.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the ph. I was once like you with seachem acid and alk buffer and equalibrium making my own DIY water. Its way to much of a hassle. Then I realized that uncle sams imports thousands of discus and uses the tap water blocks from my house. The only challenge you are going to have is with hard-water fish. Thankfully you can just get additives to add hardness

    Also its just the SFV area that has this water. You go one hour towards Van Nuys and they got HARD water lol.

  6. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
  7. #5
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2020
    Location
    West LA (soon!)
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahaha, I mostly did it because I couldn't figure out how to keep Neocaridina's alive and I lacked the testing equipment for tapwater (something I'm definitely fixing). I'm still a bit of a purist at heart, thinking that fish that evolved in waters with a certain pH should be kept at that pH, but the KH thing is interesting, I'll definitely have to look into fish that would do well! Thanks Kyle!

  8. #6
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2020
    Location
    West LA (soon!)
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I’ve never kept Caridinas before, but wouldn’t the water in the San Fernando Valley be perfect for them? Or am I missing a vital care requirement? I know they prefer softer water than Neos, but if I can keep Caridinas in tap water, now that would be an adventure.

    Edit, nevermind, I did a stupid and forgot that I can literally google stuff. Sorry about that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ichthyogeek; 06-13-2020 at 10:41 PM.

  9. #7
    SCAPE Member Just Planted cali_daytrader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2019
    Location
    arcadia, california
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Manwah Hui
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know water parameters around Arcadia? Is there chlorine or chloramines in the water?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
    Also, I’ve never kept Caridinas before, but wouldn’t the water in the San Fernando Valley be perfect for them? Or am I missing a vital care requirement? I know they prefer softer water than Neos, but if I can keep Caridinas in tap water, now that would be an adventure.

    Edit, nevermind, I did a stupid and forgot that I can literally google stuff. Sorry about that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had blue bolts survive in my tap water for some time but sadly no babies. Could've been because it was in a 40gal and they were too spread out etc. I know kole is currently trying to convert some to tap water. They dont necessarily die, but the key part is getting babies to grow up.

  11. #9
    SCAPE Member 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Bala de plata's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    2,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rory
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

  12. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
  13. #10
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr jayo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that "Woodland" isn't the same as "Woodland Hills". What water utility do you have? LADWP?

    Latest LADWP report is 2018 (2019 report should be out by July 1), and can be found here

    Southern California water comes from several sources with quite different properties. The water from up north (think aqueduct) is softer, while groundwater and water from the east is extremely hard. A lot of communities get their water from multiple sources (mixed by their utility), and it can change throughout the year as water availability changes from the different sources. I keep a cheap TDS meter to check my tap water before water changes to make sure my (moderately hard Venice area) tap water hasn't suddenly changed to liquid rock, which has happened a couple times late in dry years. I've learned to do this quick check _before_ draining my tanks for a big water change, LOL (if it has changed, I do a sequence of smaller water changes instead of a larger change).

  14. #11
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Smilet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Pacoima
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    I've had blue bolts survive in my tap water for some time but sadly no babies. Could've been because it was in a 40gal and they were too spread out etc. I know kole is currently trying to convert some to tap water. They dont necessarily die, but the key part is getting babies to grow up.
    False, yours did have baby’s in Tap
    Just in my 3 gallon instead of your 30


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •