Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving to LA!

Hi all! I'm a recent college graduate who was lucky to land a job on the western side of LA post graduation (technically I graduate this Sunday, but oh well). I've been keeping tanks since I was ~8, with interests in most things fishy (except Rift Lake cichlids for some reason). At the moment, I'm more specialized into nano fish on the freshwater side. I'm super excited to join an aquarium society now that I'm soon to be financially independent. I went to college in NorCal, and kept small (<= 10 gallon) tanks, but now that I'm moving, I'm all ready to get a couple of fish tank racks up. I'd love it if I could get some advice with the following as I prepare to move to LA!
    • Earthquakes + Fish tanks? Earlier this year when I was planning out fish tank racks, I was all for a triple tier system where there was a sump, a tank above the sump, and a tank above that tank, using concrete blocks and 2x4's ala Aquarium Co-Op. But...earthquakes seem like they might be an issue? And I'm not really sure how that will affect my planning process for a "fish space" in a new apartment. I'd appreciate any and all advice!
    • Saltwater LA aquarium clubs? My interests also expand to the saltwater side, and while I know this is more of a freshwater club (planted macroalgae tanks exist too!), I haven't found anything on clubs in LA that also work on the saltier side. Connections and links would be great!
    • Tap water parameters around the west LA area? I acknowledge that RO/DI water is superior, but part of my freshwater plans include breeding fish and plants, and depending on tapwater pH, those plans change (ex. pygmy corydoras and ember tetras if it's on the softer side pH and GH wise, CPD's and rosy loaches if it's on the harder side)
    • Aquarium acquisition! I'll be moving cross country, and while I'm 100% bringing the 100 gallon tub, I can't exactly bring all of the tanks that I have with me sadly...aside from the chain stores, are there any places where I could get my hands on some cheap tanks?

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

2. Thanks John7429 thanked for this post
    Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr Vincent Tran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vincent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, congrats on graduating and getting a job in LA right after! Lived in SoCal all my life and the worst damage I've had from an earthquake was just water sloshing around in my tank.. If the earthquake is big enough to do real damage, you probably will have worse problems to worry about. Also, our tap water is ridiculously hard since it's piped in from far away. If you want to breed sensitive fish, you will need to use RO water. A lot of shops sell RO water, but if you're planning on a rack it would be a good idea to buy your own RO system. There are a lot of great shops around the LA area that carry beautiful rimless tanks, but I am not sure if they will carry tanks cheaper than you could get for the $1/gal sale at the chain stores.

4. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vincent! I might go into more detail in another few posts to get more detailed feedback, but I really appreciate the advice and experience! I'm definitely planning on getting my own RO/DI system, since I'm also planning on keeping corals. I already decided that wherever I lived, I'd adapt my freshwater plans to the local water supply, so it's going to be a fun time trying out harder water nano-esque fish!

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome!
    Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 300g, monster fish, 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 25+ turtles/tortoises, 1x rhino iggy

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x green cheek conure, 1x halfmoon conure

2x dogs

7. Likes ichthyogeek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!!
    La is a great place for Us “fishy” hobbiest,
    I much like yourself am also quite fond of nano fish and have my own nano setup (or a few)
    Also am a reefer!(for more reefer talk you can join reef2reef.com or reefcentral on Tapatalk)
    As for the earthquakes I only experienced a small few earthquakes, sadly right after I had done water changes and had all my tanks full.
    Nothing but a lot of water to clean, a well built stand goes a long way! But to help against earthquakes it’s recommended to bolt fish rack to the wall.
    My personal favorite lfs is pet supreme in Pacoima, has great corals and freshwater fish, they even got a nano and koi section. They have taken a lot of my money over the years and don’t regret 1$
    If your looking for cheap tanks the best place to look is this forum! Or OfferUp
    (Just Make sure you know what your buying)
    If you need any help with anything or recommendations on stores all around la you can pm!
    Hope to see you at the club meetups!
    Youll find the best deals there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr tw33kerloki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vinh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and congrats!

I lost a 90gal reef tank during the Northridge earthquake.
    The 3 apartments below me + the manager's office below them all knew I had a saltwater tank that night since they all had water seeping into their spaces).
    Since then, I've made some efforts toward securing my aquariums to the walls (wall studs).
    Mostly I run cables and hitch pins to secure the stand and canopy so the aquarium cannot sway too much.
    I neglected to do this with a 65gal tank when the Ridgecrest earthquakes happened (6.4 on 07/04/19 and 7.1 on 07/05/19), but was lucky enough to be in the room to brace it myself.
    Ordered the fasteners and installed everything the next day.
    Will not tempt fate again.

11. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ichthyogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joseph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn! I was hoping that I could do the concrete blocks + 2x4's method since that's the cheapest way of putting up a large number of tanks...I guess I need to brush up on my DIY skills...and learn what a wall stud is...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to LA!

If you're into plants, I can recommend Nature Aquarium on Venice between Overland and Robertson. It's a small shop, but the owner knows his stuff. If you're okay with traditional rimmed tanks, Petco's $1-per-gallon sale is a godsend.

14. Thanks ichthyogeek thanked for this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tw33kerloki View Post
    Welcome and congrats!

I lost a 90gal reef tank during the Northridge earthquake.
    The 3 apartments below me + the manager's office below them all knew I had a saltwater tank that night since they all had water seeping into their spaces).
    Since then, I've made some efforts toward securing my aquariums to the walls (wall studs).
    Mostly I run cables and hitch pins to secure the stand and canopy so the aquarium cannot sway too much.
    I neglected to do this with a 65gal tank when the Ridgecrest earthquakes happened (6.4 on 07/04/19 and 7.1 on 07/05/19), but was lucky enough to be in the room to brace it myself.
    Ordered the fasteners and installed everything the next day.
    Will not tempt fate again.
    Woah!!! Three earthquake catastrophes!!! I knew everyone would have something to chime in about this one.