Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WeMo (or similar switches)

I don't know why I didn't think about this before... Amazon (or maybe it was New Egg) had a huge deal on WeMo switches a coupe months ago. I picked up a few without a specific use for them, just realized today that they're perfect for my tank. I used one WeMo plug for the pump/heater (I have a couple plug splitters laying around so plugged them into a single WeMo) so i can turn it off/on from my phone during maintenance, and another for my lights/CO2 so I can program the on off cycle more easily. No more reprogramming if the power goes out, and I can easily toggle everything from my phone if I want the lights changed for whatever reason (like turning off the tank lights to watch a movie). Wish I'd realized this earlier!

SCAPE Member Just Planted Cohazard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sergio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, I won a Wemo at work and it sat in my car for months until I realized it was perfect for setting light cycle on my nano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viper5dn View Post
    I don't know why I didn't think about this before... Amazon (or maybe it was New Egg) had a huge deal on WeMo switches a coupe months ago. I picked up a few without a specific use for them, just realized today that they're perfect for my tank. I used one WeMo plug for the pump/heater (I have a couple plug splitters laying around so plugged them into a single WeMo) so i can turn it off/on from my phone during maintenance, and another for my lights/CO2 so I can program the on off cycle more easily. No more reprogramming if the power goes out, and I can easily toggle everything from my phone if I want the lights changed for whatever reason (like turning off the tank lights to watch a movie). Wish I'd realized this earlier!
    Those smart switches are bad for tanks that have co2 installed. If your wifi were to cut out it would stay on/off and could lead to disaster. I use em on my tanks without co2. They're great. But for serious planted tanks, can't beat the Woods Timers. They keep their programming for days even without being plugged in.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a couple of those digital plug in timers from Home Depot and have the filter and CO2 plugged in to a UPS. Should run 2 hours or more if power goes out

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stormvisions; 08-16-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a few sitting around but not using them now. tried them in the bedroom once. and, late at night, my wife got spooked when the lights turned on by itself. turns out, i was rewiring my modem, and the wemo is disengaged whenever the wifi is disrupted.

i now plug two lights into a leviton wifi dimmer. it can do everything the wemo does but doesn't disengage when wifi is disrupted and it can DIM your LEDs.