Real Name
    Steven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooling tank

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone has some tips to cool my 20 gallon long. I have the tank divided into two with a acrylic sheet to maintain two species of shrimps( Pinto and CRS). I am planning for the summer already, since I know my new warehouse gets pretty hot in the summer. Thinking about investing in a chiller, however, how can I cool the divided tank with 1 chiller? Another option is to buy a aqua lifter, and place a long coil of plastic tubing into a contain will with ices to circulate the tank water through the tube to cool the water with the aqua. But, if anyone has any other options, please advise. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can possibly freeze some water bottles and let them float. just make sure the container doesn't have glue residue just incase it wasnt safe the for tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks cpd, I actually tried that last year, however since the warehouse get so hot, lost 3/4 of my crs. Populations grew back to 50 and ain’t trying to lose them again this year. Maybe I can plumb the chiller to both tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya i tried frozen water bottles, fans, covering the tank is foil etc etc and nothing really keeps the water at a CONSTANT temp which the shrimp need. I just broke down and bought a chiller and didn't lose a single prl or tiger last summer. 2nd hand ones off craiglist/offerup etc are somewhat fairly priced and seemed to do job very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking about a chiller, however, since my 20 gallon long is split in half with a acrylic sheet. Any way I can plumb the chiller to cool both tank with single chiller?

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easiest (and most expensive) way to do it will be to use a chiller, probably a 1/10 hp, and put an additional pump from one section to the other. You'll need to put a filter sock of some kind on both pumps, and the return pump will need to be rather large in order to go from the tank, through the chiller, and back to the Display tank.

SCAPE Member Just Planted webby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David Webster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about drilling some holes in the acrylic sheet? if you're worried about babies crossing put some sponge filter on one or both sides.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    how about drilling some holes in the acrylic sheet? if you're worried about babies crossing put some sponge filter on one or both sides.
    I was in the car and thinking exactly the same thing.

It will also provide fewer headaches than having two pumps trying to link up to the same speed.

Drop the water level, drill large holes and stuff foam sponge until the middle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaper way is to go with cooling fans
    https://www.amazon.com/Petzilla-Aqua...2266181&sr=8-4

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want you can use a styrofoam cooler fill small abount with a bit of dry ice on one end you have fan fit into the side of the cooler other end is where the chilled air goes out itís a ghetto ac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cooling fans work, but will only cool a few degrees. No more than 10 or so.it will also evaporate your water so you'll need to top off every day which may cause instability. The best option is to buy a chiller.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Just Planted DesertPupfish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hot does it get in your warehouse, and what's your target temp? You might try a couple of cheap desk or stand fans directed at the water surface to see how much it lowers the temp. The drier it is, the more cooling you'll get. Be sure to put any fans on a timer so you don't overcool at night

Another idea might be to get a small evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler) to cool the area around the tanks. I cool my house here in the desert with one, and it can lower the temperature 25-30 degrees on a dry day. But if it gets humid, they won't work as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertPupfish View Post
    How hot does it get in your warehouse, and what's your target temp? You might try a couple of cheap desk or stand fans directed at the water surface to see how much it lowers the temp. The drier it is, the more cooling you'll get. Be sure to put any fans on a timer so you don't overcool at night

Another idea might be to get a small evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler) to cool the area around the tanks. I cool my house here in the desert with one, and it can lower the temperature 25-30 degrees on a dry day. But if it gets humid, they won't work as well
    He should also set up a home made automatic water top offer because of how much evaporation is going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting subject. I will be facing similar challenges with temps as I have 3 shrimp tanks sitting side by side. I found this online and thought might do the trick.
    plahttps://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iceprobe-thermoelectric-aquarium-chiller-nova-tec.html?msclkid=ec2c4cd5f5ce1e6777531281eb6a375f& utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shoppi ng%3EHeaters%20%26%20Chillers&utm_term=45778166641 90132&utm_content=Heaters%20%26%20Chillers
    Easiest way would be to buy 2 of these (still cheaper than standard chiller) and drill into a lid and position from the top. Lid can easily be removed when not using and temps are much cooler. Can either look cool like high end technical gadget or look like an eye sore. I might opt for this but still undecided.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess someone did this already...
    chiller.jpg
    If you really wanted it to stay cool you can also add additional fans, even a desk fan to side of tank aimed at the tank to keep heat sink on device cooler. Add some additional insulation like Styrofoam to rear and side of your tank and your shrimp will thank you.