test test ad

User Tag List

Thread: Blue Leopard Ramshorn - How many is too many?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Leopard Ramshorn - How many is too many?

It shows my newbieness, but I recently learned about Blue Leopard Ramshorn snails and was so taken by how beautiful they are, I had to find some. Didn't have any luck with my two LFSs, so ended up ordering from someone in the Bay Area and they arrived the other day. They were all lively and in great shape, but the problem is, they were advertised as being juveniles and I thought I would have some time before they get big, but a majority of them are around 3/4-1 inch so fairly big already. I'm not complaining, as some have great coloration, but I'm now a little worried about them eating too much of the biofilm/algae/etc and displacing the shrimp group already in there.

I have a 5 gallon tank with branch structure covered in peacock moss, and hydro tripartita on the substrate that is slowly becoming carpeted. There are 5 blue velvet/dream shrimp, but 2 of them are berried and should be giving birth soon. I occasionally give a pinch of borneowild bebi food, or a boiled slice of cucumber, which the shrimp (and so far, snails) seem to enjoy eating, but otherwise let them get food from whatever the tank is creating. 8 blue leopard ramshorns were added.

If anyone has experience with these snails and can speak to their voraciousness, or whether I may be "overloading" my tank, that'd be much appreciated. Basically I just want to make sure I'm not possibly endangering success of the incoming baby shrimp. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erbs View Post
    It shows my newbieness, but I recently learned about Blue Leopard Ramshorn snails and was so taken by how beautiful they are, I had to find some. Didn't have any luck with my two LFSs, so ended up ordering from someone in the Bay Area and they arrived the other day. They were all lively and in great shape, but the problem is, they were advertised as being juveniles and I thought I would have some time before they get big, but a majority of them are around 3/4-1 inch so fairly big already. I'm not complaining, as some have great coloration, but I'm now a little worried about them eating too much of the biofilm/algae/etc and displacing the shrimp group already in there.

I have a 5 gallon tank with branch structure covered in peacock moss, and hydro tripartita on the substrate that is slowly becoming carpeted. There are 5 blue velvet/dream shrimp, but 2 of them are berried and should be giving birth soon. I occasionally give a pinch of borneowild bebi food, or a boiled slice of cucumber, which the shrimp (and so far, snails) seem to enjoy eating, but otherwise let them get food from whatever the tank is creating. 8 blue leopard ramshorns were added.

If anyone has experience with these snails and can speak to their voraciousness, or whether I may be "overloading" my tank, that'd be much appreciated. Basically I just want to make sure I'm not possibly endangering success of the incoming baby shrimp. Thanks!
    I've kept over 2000 ramshorns snails alive in a rbeederbox. I wouldn't worry about load aslong as you have a decent filter. In my 40gal shrimp tank I have over 2000 cherries and easily over 4000 snails. Just two medium sponge filters as filters.

3. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Likes Jawaeater liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! okay thanks so much for this helpful example/math. i won't worry about it then!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatíll soon be you too
    They breed like crazy
    Just by getting 8 you already gave each 7 potential partners
    There slow but will quickly grow in numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk