Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery Moss/Algae Globule

Searched through threads looking for similar, but wondering if folks have any advice on what type of algae / moss this little blob might be?
    IMG_20191015_142138861.jpg

Seems to have been a hitchhiker on the peacock moss also pictured, and perhaps stuck to the branch while floating. Was pretty unnoticeable since setting up scape (5 gal, going on 3 mos old), but realized it's starting to get a little bigger. Otherwise, plants seem to be doing okay and just encountering normal glass algae patches that are different than this blob.

I kinda like it as this little tree ornament for now, and weirdly has stayed in a globular shape for the most part and hasn't seemed to spread to other areas - but mostly wondering if it's something to remove now (before it becomes a menace to other plants) or is kinda benign? Thanks.

IMG_20191015_142219524.jpg

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erbs View Post
    Searched through threads looking for similar, but wondering if folks have any advice on what type of algae / moss this little blob might be?
    IMG_20191015_142138861.jpg

Seems to have been a hitchhiker on the peacock moss also pictured, and perhaps stuck to the branch while floating. Was pretty unnoticeable since setting up scape (5 gal, going on 3 mos old), but realized it's starting to get a little bigger. Otherwise, plants seem to be doing okay and just encountering normal glass algae patches that are different than this blob.

I kinda like it as this little tree ornament for now, and weirdly has stayed in a globular shape for the most part and hasn't seemed to spread to other areas - but mostly wondering if it's something to remove now (before it becomes a menace to other plants) or is kinda benign? Thanks.

IMG_20191015_142219524.jpg
    Maybe it is Aegagropila linnaei*which is the algae in marimo balls?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

3. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting, thanks! i just googled "Aegagropila linnaei growing on branch?" and first result is: "Global Decline of and Threats to Aegagropila linnaei" ha so maybe i should let it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have that in my tank and I also left it on my hardscape. It is very similar to hair algae and I underestimated it's growth. It expanded and started growing into my moss. Now it's so tangled up in it that I cannot separate the moss from the algae. I took the whole mess and gave it a peroxide dunk and it bubbled up a lot but still did not kill it all. I suggest you get rid of it while it's small.

6. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like spirogyra, i had some in my tank and its a total nuisance, i got it under control by removing the stuff i culd by hand, then getting 3 amano shrimp, and turning off the co2 for a week or so

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure myself but I fall in the "if you don't have a fish that can eat it, nuke it" camp with most algae I have encountered. I had some algae in the tank and controlled it but if I use a magnifying glass I can see these tiny bits on my moss ready to explode into growth if I get careless. Once it gets a foothold it can take drastic action to get rid of.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

10. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes about the rapid expansion / taking over moss, and very helpful input - I'll do the prudent thing and remove it this weekend.

Thanks y'all!