SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally reached out to my local Petco and it turns out they can custom order fish. They said the list of what they can order depends on their sales, and I had to wait until their fish ordering day because I was told they couldn't see the current available fish until then. They also have minimums they are required to order based on the particular fish. They had the Stiphodon on their list! If all goes well I'll be able to get my hands on a couple in a week and change. .Here's hoping.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr AquaGreenThumb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a pair of blue cobalt 9.99/each with 10% off at Elliots For Pets. Not sure if that’s the same neon blue you are looking for. There was 3 more stiphodon in the tank but couldn’t tell if they are the same species. They didn’t look too good. If they get more I’ll let you know. If Petco falls thru I’ll be Happy to pick up for you if you want to drive to Orange to pay and pick up.

btw...if anyone is interested in L-155 spotted lyre tail pleco. They have it for $30. Very beautiful pleco. About 1” size right now. 10% off on wednesday.

3. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait until the ck meet, ive seen them there before and im sure theyll have them again

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGreenThumb View Post
    Just picked up a pair of blue cobalt 9.99/each with 10% off at Elliots For Pets. Not sure if thatís the same neon blue you are looking for. There was 3 more stiphodon in the tank but couldnít tell if they are the same species. They didnít look too good. If they get more Iíll let you know. If Petco falls thru Iíll be Happy to pick up for you if you want to drive to Orange to pay and pick up.

btw...if anyone is interested in L-155 spotted lyre tail pleco. They have it for $30. Very beautiful pleco. About 1Ē size right now. 10% off on wednesday.
    Yeah theyre 2 different species, if i remember correctly, Stiphodon semoni is the cobalt blue and Stiphodon atropurpureus is the blue neon, which i personally like better but its all subjective

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Call peter at CK and ask him to call you when he gets more in stock. In the meantime, build up your stockade of biofilm generation.

8. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Call peter at CK and ask him to call you when he gets more in stock. In the meantime, build up your stockade of biofilm generation.
    I've been working on the biofilm. I've been calling around for a few weeks but no luck anywhere within my drive. I'll keep trying.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post
    Yeah theyre 2 different species, if i remember correctly, Stiphodon semoni is the cobalt blue and Stiphodon atropurpureus is the blue neon, which i personally like better but its all subjective
    Yeah looking for the s. atropurpureus because they are marginally smaller and hoping there will be less predation on baby shrimp. From what I've read most who have them together with shrimp indicate it isn't a huge problem with s.atropurpureus save the occasional opportunistic 'oops, baby got to close to my mouth' snack.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    Yeah looking for the s. atropurpureus because they are marginally smaller and hoping there will be less predation on baby shrimp. From what I've read most who have them together with shrimp indicate it isn't a huge problem with s.atropurpureus save the occasional opportunistic 'oops, baby got to close to my mouth' snack.
    Oh cool, i like them because they get more color

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first rainbow stiphodon from Aquarium City in LA and my next two from CK fishworld in West Covina.

As for them being "shrimp friend" back in 2013 I listened to some members saying they're shrimp friendly. But it didn't turn out that way when I witnessed them attacking my rili repeated. HOWEVER, in my current tank I have two stiphodon and they havent gone after my sole super tiger shrimp. Lol
    "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome" - when I think of hair algae lol

Setups
    - 7.5g Aqua Japan planted
    - 5g UNS 45s CPO tank (in the making).

Instagram @nodeadfish

13. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vlow714 View Post
    I got my first rainbow stiphodon from Aquarium City in LA and my next two from CK fishworld in West Covina.

As for them being "shrimp friend" back in 2013 I listened to some members saying they're shrimp friendly. But it didn't turn out that way when I witnessed them attacking my rili repeated. HOWEVER, in my current tank I have two stiphodon and they havent gone after my sole super tiger shrimp. Lol
    The rainbows are bigger correct? Online shows them growing up to 2.75 and the neon blue only to 1.4 max. Size doesn't always matter but word is these are generally okay and my tank is overgrown. Here's hoping.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always known them to be algae ways, myself, but even otos have been known to eat a snack high in protein from time to time.