Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HOB placement?

Where do you guys usually put your HOB? Iím gonna be putting an aquaclear 70 on a 20 long. Should I place the HOB on the back or the side? Fishes I keep donít like too much flow and Iím also planning to add co2. I might be asking too much but how can I make sure the co2 circulates without stressing out my fish from the flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm only happy when my otos are happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an AQ50 on a 20 high. I have it on a short side, so the outlet goes across the top longways and sets up a circular flow back across the bottom to the filter intake. I feed my CO2 into the aquaclear through the hole in the filter plate so it gets drawn into the impeller and breaks up the bubbles, which then get caught in the sponges in the filter and dissolve there.

As for flow, I run my AQ50 at full blast and wish I had more flow. It'll depend on your fish I suppose, but I'd think that the flow regulation in the AQ70 should let you find a comfortable amount of flow for them. There'll be more flow at the top and the far side away from the filter, and gentler flow at midlevel and toward the filter side. The nice thing about putting the filter along the short side of a long tank is you'll get circulation through the whole tank, which is good not just for delivery of CO2 and fertilizers, but also means that all the water actually goes through the filter.

One downside of putting the filter on a short side is that, if you have the aquarium in a typical position against a wall, it ruins looking through that side. Run it peninsula-style or in a corner, and that downside goes away. Another potential downside is lighting placement. I have a LED light sitting across the tank top, and it wasn't until I actually set the tank up that I realized that that meant the filter was sitting right where I wanted to rest my light (doh!). I got lucky that the light riser was the same height as the aquaclear, and that the light had a narrow plastic tab meant to go over the edge of the tank. I cut a hole in my Aquaclear lid for the light to sit in and it turned out fine, LOL.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr cjbart1009's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I have an AQ50 on a 20 high. I have it on a short side, so the outlet goes across the top longways and sets up a circular flow back across the bottom to the filter intake. I feed my CO2 into the aquaclear through the hole in the filter plate so it gets drawn into the impeller and breaks up the bubbles, which then get caught in the sponges in the filter and dissolve there.

As for flow, I run my AQ50 at full blast and wish I had more flow. It'll depend on your fish I suppose, but I'd think that the flow regulation in the AQ70 should let you find a comfortable amount of flow for them. There'll be more flow at the top and the far side away from the filter, and gentler flow at midlevel and toward the filter side. The nice thing about putting the filter along the short side of a long tank is you'll get circulation through the whole tank, which is good not just for delivery of CO2 and fertilizers, but also means that all the water actually goes through the filter.

One downside of putting the filter on a short side is that, if you have the aquarium in a typical position against a wall, it ruins looking through that side. Run it peninsula-style or in a corner, and that downside goes away. Another potential downside is lighting placement. I have a LED light sitting across the tank top, and it wasn't until I actually set the tank up that I realized that that meant the filter was sitting right where I wanted to rest my light (doh!). I got lucky that the light riser was the same height as the aquaclear, and that the light had a narrow plastic tab meant to go over the edge of the tank. I cut a hole in my Aquaclear lid for the light to sit in and it turned out fine, LOL.
    Thank you for the input. Does your 20 high have a lid? Cause Iím also wondering about the if Iím gonna be placing it on the short side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm not running a lid. I kept meaning to make one (with a couple of glass panels that would slide), but never got around to it, and by now I'm thinking I just won't bother. You'd have to make one custom, which isn't that bad (you'll need glass cut to the right dimensions).

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the lid maybe you can use the lid from a 15 gallon which is 6" shorter in length? You'd probably need a cross piece to support the 'floating' end and you would need to cut something to make sure fish didn't jump through the hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    On the lid maybe you can use the lid from a 15 gallon which is 6" shorter in length? You'd probably need a cross piece to support the 'floating' end and you would need to cut something to make sure fish didn't jump through the hole.
    Are those 15g lids available at Petco or PetSmart, or would I have to do online? I can cover the gap with some clear mesh if needed. I just wanna put a lid cause my tanks evaporate really quick without them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my lid at Petco but call. If they don't have it you may be able to order online and pick up at the store the next day. Think it through, you might be able to have acrylic cut and add a handle but the glass already has a handle and a hinge. Not sure which is the best solution for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    I got my lid at Petco but call. If they don't have it you may be able to order online and pick up at the store the next day. Think it through, you might be able to have acrylic cut and add a handle but the glass already has a handle and a hinge. Not sure which is the best solution for you.
    I like your idea actually. I donít mind the 6Ē
    Gap. I can always cover it with clear mesh that I have on hand. Just checked with Petco and they have it. Theyíre offering 20% off of you buy online and pickup in store.

9. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an AC50 and an AC20 on one 20-long, so they're at either corner. Since I have a DIY mesh lid, they both hang on the back. The CO2 diffuser is under the outflow of the 50, so I get pretty good dispersion. I do cut the 50's out flow down a bit, though. Otherwise the fish get blown around and avoid that part of the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Found a place near me that can cut glass to size requested. Was wondering if anyone has any measurement of the inside part of the rim on the tank so i can give accurate measurements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure the actual tank you're going to be lidding. It wouldn't surprise me if mass-produced aquariums varied in dimension by a mm or two.

13. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second what @jayo said. I have seen different brands have different thickness of rims so for the best fit better measure.