Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canister filter power outage siphon

Ive heard that sometimes during power outages, canister filters will siphon gallons of water onto the floor. I don't want this to happen because i have my scape in my bedroom where the floor is a carpet. Also i have frequent power outages because it gets windy where i live. Can this actually happen and are there ways to avoid it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member SCAPEr RyTheScapeGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post
    Ive heard that sometimes during power outages, canister filters will siphon gallons of water onto the floor. I don't want this to happen because i have my scape in my bedroom where the floor is a carpet. Also i have frequent power outages because it gets windy where i live. Can this actually happen and are there ways to avoid it?

I don't understand how or why a canister filter can siphon gallons of water onto the floor? Once the canister filter is close and the seal around the lid is tight and secure, there is no way a canister filter will be pouring out water when the power is off. If there is a leak, that means the seal/oring is bad or the clips around the canister are defective. Also, I do recommend people to grease their sealing gaskets because they do become brittle over time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post

You might have canister and sump mixed up

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyTheFishGuy View Post
    I don't understand how or why a canister filter can siphon gallons of water onto the floor? Once the canister filter is close and the seal around the lid is tight and secure, there is no way a canister filter will be pouring out water when the power is off. If there is a leak, that means the seal/oring is bad or the clips around the canister are defective. Also, I do recommend people to grease their sealing gaskets because they do become brittle over time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, what do you mean by greasing it? Is there a special thing i should buy for that?

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple vaseline will work just fine, make sure not to over do it. Shouldn't have much residue if done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Simple vaseline will work just fine, make sure not to over do it. Shouldn't have much residue if done right.
    Thank you

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your canister filter has no leaks, it won't drain onto the floor DURING a power outage, but sometimes, if the outage is long, or the return is not properly secured, the kick from powering back on can shoot it off the tank and cause it THEN to drain onto the floor.

The major culprit of floods during power outages are sumps with not enough allowable volume for when the overflow on the DT keeps draining with nowhere for the extra water to go except the floor.

8. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    As long as your canister filter has no leaks, it won't drain onto the floor DURING a power outage, but sometimes, if the outage is long, or the return is not properly secured, the kick from powering back on can shoot it off the tank and cause it THEN to drain onto the floor.

The major culprit of floods during power outages are sumps with not enough allowable volume for when the overflow on the DT keeps draining with nowhere for the extra water to go except the floor.
    Ok thanks, ill unplug it tonight because theres gonna be another one

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also be able to get a check valve which only allows the water to travel one way. If you do maybe also put one of those sponge cylinders that sit over the edge of the siphon as I assume it is at least possible that leaves could clog a check valve.