Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rescaping

I've been tossing around the idea of doing a complete rescape of my tank since I'm getting tired of the "jungle look." I also want to change out the substrate so it'll be more than just shifting things around.

I'm curious to know how to go about doing it as I only have 1 tank (40g). I thought about buying another tank to move everything over temporarily but then I'll have another tank I won't need. If anyone's done that before, what method worked for you? Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!

2. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a 20, but when I'm doing a big rescape I dechlorinate some water and fill my water change bucket, all my mixing bowls, big tupperwares, plastic storage bins, my pasta boiling pot, etc, and use those for temporary storage. Having multiple containers helps with sorting plants.

Sounds like a big job. Good luck! What's your plan for the new scape?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I only have a 20, but when I'm doing a big rescape I dechlorinate some water and fill my water change bucket, all my mixing bowls, big tupperwares, plastic storage bins, my pasta boiling pot, etc, and use those for temporary storage. Having multiple containers helps with sorting plants.

Sounds like a big job. Good luck! What's your plan for the new scape?
    Thanks! What do you do with all of the fishes & shrimps? Do they all go into one bucket? That's actually my biggest concern because they'll be crowded together since the whole process of cleaning out the tank and setting it up again will take awhile.

As for scape ideas, I want to switch to a gravel substrate and reduce the amount of plants I have. Right now, you can barely see any hardscapes in my tank since it's completely overrun with plants. I was initially glad the plants are growing well in my tank but it's gotten to the point where I'm constantly trimming and having to give away, or toss, plants on a weekly basis.

In short, I now want a display tank that is a little less maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have small fish (white clouds), and I can put them all in a bucket. I'd put the shrimp separate (and catching them will be a lot of work, LOL), any container of a half gallon to a gallon or so (mixing bowl, large tupperware, etc) should be able to hold the colony for a day. Add some moss or plants to the shrimp to give them some cover and something to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoni View Post
    Thanks! What do you do with all of the fishes & shrimps? Do they all go into one bucket? That's actually my biggest concern because they'll be crowded together since the whole process of cleaning out the tank and setting it up again will take awhile.

As for scape ideas, I want to switch to a gravel substrate and reduce the amount of plants I have. Right now, you can barely see any hardscapes in my tank since it's completely overrun with plants. I was initially glad the plants are growing well in my tank but it's gotten to the point where I'm constantly trimming and having to give away, or toss, plants on a weekly basis.

In short, I now want a display tank that is a little less maintenance.
    I would separate the fish and shrimp into different buckets. As long as the bucket isn't overcrowded the fishes and shrimps should be fine for a couple days. As long as you have a day free it should go well.
    1. Catch and Move all the fish and shrimps to bucket or another tank. (don't overcrowd) (add a air hose and cycled small hob filter if you can)
    2. Remove all plants and set them aside in another bucket
    3. Catch remaining fishy and stuff
    4. remove all soil and spray down and scrub tank till its clean
    5. Start the new Scape
    6. Depending on substrate you may put the fish back in earlier without worrying about ammonia.

Hopes this helps. What scape are you planning on doing? I'm going to miss this jungle tank you have haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDTimmy View Post
    Hopes this helps. What scape are you planning on doing?
    Thanks for the breakdown! Snatching up all of the shrimp will be the hardest thing. Knowing that I'll probably kill some during the transition is the only reason why I've put this off for so long.

Scapewise, the only thing that resonated with me happens to be the complete opposite of what I currently have (not sure if the pic I attached will come through). I'm going to check for more ideas before I settle on it because I want to make sure it's the look I really want - not because I'm anxious to get rid of the jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by CPDTimmy View Post
    I'm going to miss this jungle tank you have haha.
    Timmy, with all of the plants I've given you in the past, I'm surprised you don't already have your own jungle tank!

SCAPE Member Just Planted DreamKnight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chung
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how I did mine:

9. Thanks Kyoni thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoni View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown! Snatching up all of the shrimp will be the hardest thing. Knowing that I'll probably kill some during the transition is the only reason why I've put this off for so long.

Scapewise, the only thing that resonated with me happens to be the complete opposite of what I currently have (not sure if the pic I attached will come through). I'm going to check for more ideas before I settle on it because I want to make sure it's the look I really want - not because I'm anxious to get rid of the jungle.

Timmy, with all of the plants I've given you in the past, I'm surprised you don't already have your own jungle tank!
    I actually gave most of them away to friends haha the only thing I kept are the AR, but had a few die off and some with too much algae. Still working on finding balance for that 10g. I know someone giving away tanks that needs to be picked up Saturday August 17. You can possibly use that to help store your fish perhaps? Feel free to message me on discord if you're interested

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr DanielN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,
    you can get one 27 gallon black plastic tote from Costco (with yellow lid) as your temporary tank and transfer all tank water, your fishes, and shirmps in it. then start scaping new tank.