test test ad

User Tag List

Thread: DHG not carpeting, am I too impatient or doing something wrong?

SCAPE Member Just Planted phuchuynh92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DHG not carpeting, am I too impatient or doing something wrong?

Hello,

So right now I have a few different tanks set up with DHG in them that are supposed to be the carpeting plant, but none of them are carpeting.
    For one tank, it is a 5G dirted base with gravel on top, and arguably my most successful tank at the moment. It has a lot of shrimps and a lot of babies in it, so the colony is thriving. It has all kind of tall plants in it along the side and the back, all of them are thriving also, I have to trim every few days. I put in some tissue cultured DHG for about 3 weeks now and it still looks pretty much the same. I know that DHG does not grow the best in gravel so that might be why. I typically use Flourish Comp almost every day, Advance, Excel, and Iron once in a while.

I also have 2 other tanks, pretty similar, with UNS Controsoil Black, like this: https://buceplant.com/products/uns-c...BoC5zoQAvD_BwE
    I also use Flourish Comp, Advance, Excel and Iron at intervals, usually not all at the same time. The DHG isn't dying off, still looks green and healthy, just not carpeting out.

Where can I start looking for solutions? I can give more information if needed.

Thank you for reading.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr JavaJacketOC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have Co2 it's going to take a long time to do anything.

Mine took off within a couple weeks of adding Co2

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have DHG that melted in course substrate. They had a hard time sending out runners. So I scrapped the whole thing and switched to Controsoil. They are much happier now.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Generally, the way to carpet dhg is simulation by multi point propogation. It grows with assistance, by observational documentation, via allelopathy.

When a single culture is fragmented and separated and planted close together but not touching, the multiple points of culture will propogatevmore readily. This is commonly called culture grafting.

Instead of just putting it in a single spot and waiting for it to grow out (itvwill eventually happen, albeit slowly) cut it into manageable sectioms, quartersz 8ths, or smaller if you can, and plant them all no greater a span than twice their width between them, and they will stimulate eachother to grow together.

The same reason that outting two cultures of DHG close but not touching eachother eventually grow together is the same concept. By cutting off a portion of them causes additional growth stimulation and allows it to propogate faster.

SCAPE Member Just Planted phuchuynh92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Generally, the way to carpet dhg is simulation by multi point propogation. It grows with assistance, by observational documentation, via allelopathy.

When a single culture is fragmented and separated and planted close together but not touching, the multiple points of culture will propogatevmore readily. This is commonly called culture grafting.

Instead of just putting it in a single spot and waiting for it to grow out (itvwill eventually happen, albeit slowly) cut it into manageable sectioms, quartersz 8ths, or smaller if you can, and plant them all no greater a span than twice their width between them, and they will stimulate eachother to grow together.

The same reason that outting two cultures of DHG close but not touching eachother eventually grow together is the same concept. By cutting off a portion of them causes additional growth stimulation and allows it to propogate faster.
    Wow, thank you for the information! this is great information. I think I divided it too large in my gravel tank and makes it even harder to spread. I will doublecheck my setups, thank you!

Regarding CO2, I dont want to open that can of worm yet so I will be patient and stick with Excel for now and wait it out.
    Thank you everyone.

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excel is no comparison to actual CO2, it isn't CO2 in any way. It won't help with something like dhg. Pictures of your setup and how you have the dhg spread would be helpful.
    Last edited by swoof; 11-21-2019 at 04:16 PM.

SCAPE Member Just Planted oneforthebooks08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel Ervin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to point out that if you do have shrimp in there getting the right balance with CO2 might be difficult. Just a suggestion to those pushing for the addition of a CO2 system.

SCAPE Member Just Planted notg2009's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Omid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine substrate with small particle size is what makes the roots anchor and spread. It will carpet without CO2, it just takes time.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oneforthebooks08 View Post
    I'd like to point out that if you do have shrimp in there getting the right balance with CO2 might be difficult. Just a suggestion to those pushing for the addition of a CO2 system.
    How would shrimp make balancing co2 hard?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr felipe49's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Felipe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have neos instead caridinas adding co2 wouldn't be a problem , I agree that co2 would make a diference in the dhg development and faster spreading

SCAPE Member Just Planted oneforthebooks08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel Ervin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post
    How would shrimp make balancing co2 hard?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I mean in terms of providing proper living conditions for the shrimp with the addition of CO2.