test test ad

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best best for large leaf moss sp?

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best best for large leaf moss sp?

I have several mosses in my tank that have all grown into a nice healthy carpet but was looking for moss with bigger leaves and a little more structure. I saw fissidens sp online - is this my best bet? I want something with a form more like a micro fern; a nice leafy, dense 'bush'.

I have some riccia fluitans which I made some nylon net bags for and this does give them a shape but it is still tiny leaves and carpet like.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr AquaGreenThumb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XMAS MOSS

3. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What mosses have you already got?

5. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into giant willow moss. I see it come up on the aquaswap Reddit and shrimp keeper FB group quite often.

617DE0F4-C50E-47A1-AC80-EE3226B2AE5C.jpg
    A979D672-A481-4640-B7D9-9EEF9418B3CC.jpg
    Fluval Spec V - Male Black Dragon Betta / OEBT and Sakura/FR Neos
    UNS 3N - Wild-type Neos

"...you can noodle with the layout forever... have fun!"
    -octanejunkie

7. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenCOCO View Post
    Look into giant willow moss. I see it come up on the aquaswap Reddit and shrimp keeper FB group quite often.

617DE0F4-C50E-47A1-AC80-EE3226B2AE5C.jpg
    A979D672-A481-4640-B7D9-9EEF9418B3CC.jpg
    Thanks for that Glen.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad
    Disclaimer: I buy on Amazon. A lot. Little stuff. Often. I use the link bar on the product page to generate a short link when I share a product. It's convenient and short. I have an old affiliate account so if you click on one of those links I might earn some money. Last year I earned $4.02! My payment threshold is $100. I'm over 60 years old. I may get that money in the next 15-20 years just in time for adult diapers. If this bothers you don't click on any links to products I post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGreenThumb View Post
    XMAS MOSS
    I have some of that. I am looking at pictures of the Fisidens and sort of like the look of that. Have to see it live.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    What mosses have you already got?
    Well I can sort out the Christmas Moss, and I have a patch of Java Moss but other than that at different times I acquired small pieces of Queen Moss, Cameroon Moss, NL Moss & whatever else I could find. They started out separate but now they have grown into one giant mat and truthfully can't tell them apart - just a chunk of cork that runs about 28" along the back of the tank and they all mixed together and are growing on it. The Cameroon Moss was really nice in the picture when I saw it - sort of what I was hoping for when I asked this- but what I got was a thumbnail clump and leaves much smaller than the picture and if it is in the tank it is blended with everyone else and never grew as big as the picture.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hookericeae moss and badge moss/Plagiomnium moss

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to some nice images of varieties of these online. I'll see what I can find.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered some Hookericeae moss online. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    Ordered some Hookericeae moss online. Thanks for the suggestions.
    $18 at Lucky Aquatics 1" square. I thought it was going to be on mesh and would wrap on a branch but it's loose. I finally glued them to a nylon zip tie and strapped it to a branch. Here's hoping it grows.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention it is the one with the brownish central stem and green leaves which is what I wanted.

Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $18 at Lucky Aquatics 1" square. I thought it was going to be on mesh and would wrap on a branch but it's loose. I finally glued them to a nylon zip tie and strapped it to a branch. Here's hoping it grows.

Whow big price tag for moss
    Fast growing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was hoping to get a bit from someone on the forum but haven't see this one around. This picture is what did it for me. Hoping that it grows well and looks something like the picture.

Hookeriaceae.jpg
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Redchigh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty slow growing and fairly new to the hobby, that's why it's expensive

20. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It didn't do too good for me. It browned out in about 3 days. I put the bits with a bunch of other moss to see if it revives but doesn't look good. I'll try to pick some up locally if it becomes available. Guessing the 3-day shipping didn't help it.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It didn't do too good for me. It browned out in about 3 days. I put the bits with a bunch of other moss to see if it revives but doesn't look good. I'll try to pick some up locally if it becomes available. Guessing the 3-day shipping didn't help it.
    Same thing happened to me but i think it died because i didnt give it enough light

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually put it on a branch of driftwood that was about 3" down from my dual light strips. It may just be sensitive - did you have yours shipped?
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually put it on a branch of driftwood that was about 3" down from my dual light strips. It may just be sensitive - did you have yours shipped?
    I got mine from the meet at ck

25. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know who you got it from? Maybe they have some insight.
    Burt
    Twitter| WattPad