Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looking for wild type Dwarf honey gourami

Does anyone keep these? I remember i kept them a few years ago and they were more of an orange hue. I just bought some today and they were more yellow. Iím looking for this specific color. Does anyone have this or know of any lfs selling this color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cjbart1009; 07-29-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm only happy when my otos are happy

2. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a color variant. I've seen a few variations on the Honey Dwarf that look to be the result of selective breeding

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr cjbart1009's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
    Probably a color variant. I've seen a few variations on the Honey Dwarf that look to be the result of selective breeding
    Youíre probably right. I do prefer the darker orange color than the yellow one but I havenít seen any of the orange ones lately.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a pair that recently went to fishy heaven. They bred in the tank several times but the babies eventually got munched. One female rummy nose, in particular, seems to have become quite the huntress and she would sneak up below then wham (in fact I just spotted her swallowing a cherry shrimp yesterday which I would have sworn was too big for her.

Anyway I did have a hard time finding red honey females. I see the males from time to time but people keep showing me red flame gouramis and trying to tell me they're the same thing. The red honeys were beautiful and a change from all the torpedo shaped fish in my tank.
    Last edited by stormvisions; 07-22-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dwarf honey gourami

Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    I had a pair that recently went to fishy heaven. They bred in the tank several times but the babies eventually got munched. One female rummy nose, in particular, seems to have become quite the huntress and she would sneak up below then wham (in fact I just spotted her swallowing a cherry shrimp yesterday which I would have sworn was too big for her.

Anyway I did have a hard time finding red honey females. I see the males from time to time but people keep showing me red flame gouramis and trying to tell me they're the same thing. The red honeys were beautiful and a change from all the torpedo shaped fish in my tank.
    I did some googling and I found that there are two colors that are common on the market. The yellow one which Iíve been seeing more and more lately and the orange, brownish one which theyíre calling the wild type coloration. I have both females and was able to get a male yellow honey which i paired with my yellow female. Now i just need to find an orange male.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an understated beauty. The male didn't bother anyone unless he had a nest - no one except the female I mean who he chased all the time. He was a good dad but a terrible husband.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen the wild type coloration at lfs recently? Itís the yellow honey gouramis being sold atm and Iíve gone through pretty much the LA area.