Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby shrimp or something else?

Hello,

I have been looking at what I thought were baby shrimps in my tank until yesterday. I have, supposedly, all Cherry shrimps in my tank, red, blue and yellow. For the past few weeks, I have been looking at some "baby shrimps" and was pretty happy that they are growing each day. However, yesterday I found a super tiny baby blue shrimp that look like a tiny version of the big shrimp, so there is no mistake here. Below are 2 pictures of the babies I am referring to.

IMG_2005.jpgIMG_2004.jpg

Can you tell me what the baby sitting on the snail in the picture is? It is much better than the other blue one and does not look like a mini version of the adult at all, and there is no color.

I am a bit dumbfounded at the moment and not sure what I have been raising up.
    Thank you for your help!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first picture is definitely a baby blue shrimp. The second however is a gammarus aka scud. Mixed stories on scuds, people say they hurt baby shrimps but I never observed one. The only thing I experienced with scuds is that they are ferocious eater and baby/ juvenile shrimps might not be able to compete for food which can be detrimental for their survival.

SCAPE Member Just Planted phuchuynh92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
    The first picture is definitely a baby blue shrimp. The second however is a gammarus aka scud. Mixed stories on scuds, people say they hurt baby shrimps but I never observed one. The only thing I experienced with scuds is that they are ferocious eater and baby/ juvenile shrimps might not be able to compete for food which can be detrimental for their survival.
    Uh oh, okay thank you! I have been raising the enemy it seems, explains why I might not see a lot of baby shrimps. I will try to remove them as much as I can.
    Any easy way to get rid of them? Beside scooping them out 1 by 1 I mean

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No easy way to get rid of them. All methods to kill scuds will also kill shrimps. A way to slow their population is to feed less and use a feeding dish to prevent food going into the substrate because scuds can dig in to get the food. If you’re sole purpose is to breed the shrimps you might want to restart a whole new tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a bit discouraging to hear, but good tip nonetheless. Thank you very much. I was going to rescape the tank a little bit anyway so I will try to clean them out as I rescape.
    Thank you again.

SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a scud. I always recommend to people when they buy plants off of other hobbyists or in the auction to treat the new plants and to quarentine them. I always do a H2O2 dip and then float the plants for a few days in my communtiy tank with my amazon puffers, they take care of any pests that may be hitch hiking.
    As far as hearing mixed reviews on Scuds I would say if you can get them out or rescape the tank then do so, I know from personal experience that if scuds are left unchecked in a shrimp tank (no natural predators) they can destroy plants and ruin an aquascape.
    Below are before and after pictures of what scuds can do in a shrimp tank.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    Shoot, I am gonna have to do some serious work then. So right now I have a soil layer at the bottom of the tank, and gravels on top. I guess I can vacuum out most of the gravels and make sure they are clean, but do you recommend replacing the dirt soil at the bottom also?

Also, is bleach dipping 100% necessary? I was going to try to take out all the plants, and put them back in 1 by 1 after a thorough cleaning and make sure I don't see any scuds. For the moment, I am trying to kill any scuds I see with the scaping tweezer, but it is a bit slow. I was gonna get a small shrimp net or something and try to sift through the gravel and hopefully remove some of them.
    Thank you for your information! I will do my best to come to the next meeting also, been wanting to get into this hobby a bit more but still a bit reserved at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchuynh92 View Post
    OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    Shoot, I am gonna have to do some serious work then. So right now I have a soil layer at the bottom of the tank, and gravels on top. I guess I can vacuum out most of the gravels and make sure they are clean, but do you recommend replacing the dirt soil at the bottom also?

Also, is bleach dipping 100% necessary? I was going to try to take out all the plants, and put them back in 1 by 1 after a thorough cleaning and make sure I don't see any scuds. For the moment, I am trying to kill any scuds I see with the scaping tweezer, but it is a bit slow. I was gonna get a small shrimp net or something and try to sift through the gravel and hopefully remove some of them.
    Thank you for your information! I will do my best to come to the next meeting also, been wanting to get into this hobby a bit more but still a bit reserved at the moment.
    Easiest way to get rid of em would be to remove your shrimp to another tank for a while and put some ember tetras or something in the tank to wipe out the scuds

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Easiest way to get rid of em would be to remove your shrimp to another tank for a while and put some ember tetras or something in the tank to wipe out the scuds

Will Rosy Red Minnows eat scuds? I have some of those in my turtle tank right now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Rosy Red Minnows eat scuds? I have some of those in my turtle tank right now. Thank you.

Minnows might be a little small and I'm not sure how carnivorous they are.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen posts by people claiming that some planaria traps also catch scuds. I have no personal experience with this. Maybe someone else has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen those also. So I did a bunch of researches the other day and came up with a few methods.
    1. Turkey Blaster and catch whoever I can, very feasible as I spend a lot of time staring at the tank.
    2. Planaria trap as mentioned above. Results vary from my research, but it cost money to get the trap.
    3. THE BEST IMO: gas the tank with CO2 using sparkling water (After removing shrimps and useful snails of course). I have been super busy so I haven't tried this yet, but this looks to be the best method for me. I will starve the shrimp a bit, put some food in my net and pull out as many as I can while retaining the scape. then I will gas it and put shrimps back after a while of airing it out. I love Sparkling water and have a bunch of them already so this is the cheapest and easiest for me. Also, I will put a lot of lights on it so the plants can benefit from the CO2 also.

Let me know what you think.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never heard of gassing the tank but I guess that would kill them if you do make sure to vacuum out any dead critters, make a partial water change and test the PH before reintroducing a few test fish (just to ensure that the water hasn't become acidic which excess CO2 can do). It does sound of like a nuclear option to me though. Copper-based meds will kill them and then you'll have to do water changes and put some good activated carbon in there to get rid of remaining copper before adding shrimp and snails back. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah took a while of searching and I tumbled onto a guy pouring carbonated water into his tank. I will starve the shrimps, then put food into a net and remove as many as I can. I donít want to remove the plants because the cruds will definitely follow those. Iíll try to put on some good light so the plants can do photosynthesis and not die to the CO2. Thank you for your good luck wish and I hope it works too!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Redchigh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about it, you might want to remove the filter media when you gas it.
    Nitrifying bacteria need oxygen too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchigh View Post
    Thinking about it, you might want to remove the filter media when you gas it.
    Nitrifying bacteria need oxygen too.
    Yeah I removed the sponge filter and some substrate and make very sure there are no scuds in there and then gassed it. It was satisfying to see them freaking out for like 5-10 secs and fall down dead. I had better luck when I left 1 tank in the dark overnight. 1-2 scuds still survived somehow. I got myself a Turkey baster and trying to suck them out when I see any. I am going to convert 1 tank into a Betta tank so I dont have to worry about it.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr RyTheScapeGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I removed the sponge filter and some substrate and make very sure there are no scuds in there and then gassed it. It was satisfying to see them freaking out for like 5-10 secs and fall down dead. I had better luck when I left 1 tank in the dark overnight. 1-2 scuds still survived somehow. I got myself a Turkey baster and trying to suck them out when I see any. I am going to convert 1 tank into a Betta tank so I dont have to worry about it.
    I had scuds a longgg time ago in my 5g tank. Put a betta in it. 3 days later...didnt see a single scud. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk