Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alexis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrimp

I need help maintaining a shrimp tank. I want to start one but I donít know how to maintain it. Iíve done some research but I need help with water. Iíve seen people say use RO water or use tap water. Please help. The more information the better. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come join Discord if you can we have a lot of people that can probably help you out and answer any questions you may have. https://discord.gg/dksnWe

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you keep Neocaridina you can probably use tap water (tap water in Southern California varies widely, but Neos are pretty adaptable). Caridina shrimp you probably need to use RO unless you're in a weird softer water area.

Neos are considered hardier - they're a good shrimp to start with. They come in lots of fun colors. They aren't hard to care for, but most fish will eat them (or at least the babies).

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr zipmaiflai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Boris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd recommend starting with Neos. They are super easy to care for, and I just keep mines in tap water with some live plants, and they take care of themselves. If you are new, I'd recommend starting with a tank for shrimp only first or shrimp and bristlenose plecos since they seem to do fine together. After a month or so, when they start breeding and you get a little colony going, the shrimp should be much more comfortable with many friends and should do really well after that. Just make sure you use a sponge on your filter, or better yet, a sponge filter.