Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aquaclear 30 knocking sound

My 4 month old AQ30 is making a knocking/clicking sound. I disassembled it, cleaned everything carefully and it went away for two days and now it's back. Not sure what to do. I had a sponge on the intake and I swapped it for a metal strainer hoping less pressure on the inflow would help. Any suggestions? Do I just have a defective unit? Reducing the flow to minimum eliminates it but that's not good for the tank.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What media do you have in it? Is it possible media is getting knocked back into the impeller area? When you inspect the impeller are there stratches? Are there extra pieces of overhang plastic that can be trimmed? Is the impeller shaft straight and is it seating correctly?
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have media in the proper place... a sponge, a strip of poly filter and purigen and a small bio bag. I think the shaft must be defective. It looks clean, no scratches. I'm going to borrow an impeller from someone and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I solved the problem by just buying a Tidal 35. Great, well constructed, quiet filter with tons of room for whatever media you want to throw in there. Plus it has surface skimming which I really needed.

Interesting thing on this filter is that it has no intake tube. There are slots at the waterline and some a few inches below... all shrimp safe. The pump is inside the tank which is unique for a HOB but it doesn't seem to add any unwanted heat. Everyone should look at the Tidals before buying an Aquaclear.