Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side project - father's day

This is something I started work on while I wait for my new tank to finish cycling.

One of my earliest memories is my dad "teaching" me how to play chess at the age of 2.

For the most part, the board is done. I need to smooth some things out and line up a couple minor things, but this is the first time I've ever ever crafted anythinf of this size.

This weekend, I will move on to making the custom pieces, and if I have enough time, I might try to make a custom case.

This will be for my dad for father's day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Likes stormvisions, geektom liked this post
    SCAPE President Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome man! Looks good.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get a planer.

I decided to smooth out the board so that pieces can slide from one end of the board to the other. I had to piece them all and then sand them after. I prefer sanded/stained surfaces, so i then honey oil stained and waxed the surface.

IMG_20190519_201202.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks nice!

6. Thanks Nick Shades thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came out good
    By cuts never come out clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Nick Shades thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilet View Post
    Came out good
    By cuts never come out clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you speaking of cuts in general, or those done with a power miter saw or chop saw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternate thought.

By no means am i an expert carpenter, but who would be interested in driving to redlands for either a mini meet or a future meet for basic stand construction and wood working?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool board..., have you ever made a router jig to substitute for a planer? That may save a few $$$ and get those smooth results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    Pretty cool board..., have you ever made a router jig to substitute for a planer? That may save a few $$$ and get those smooth results.
    You know. I was thinking of some alternative methods of planing these short strips that I used for this chessboard, and I need to figure out a track of some sort in order to do so.

I had plans to make checkers out of wood, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make them stackable with what i have got.

But that being said, i haven't figured out a good way to do it it (turn the router into a makeshift planer)

There are plans and videos that exist all over the internet in order to do it, but those are generally for just smoothing out warped or bent boards. My need to plsne is to make uniform depths with a measured stop.

Probably, for the board i made, the best way to do it would be to make a uniform depth sled for my belt sander.

Although.... As i think about it.... I think with as thin as these strips are, i could make the same thing for my router.

Maybe for chess board 2.0.
    Last edited by Nick Shades; 05-24-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    You know. I was thinking of some alternative methods of planing these short strips that I used for this chessboard, and I need to figure out a track of some sort in order to do so.

I had plans to make checkers out of wood, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make them stackable with what i have got.

But that being said, i haven't figured out a good way to do it it (turn the router into a makeshift planer)

There are plans and videos that exist all over the internet in order to do it, but those are generally for just smoothing out warped or bent boards. My need to plsne is to make uniform depths with a measured stop.

Probably, for the board i made, the best way to do it would be to make a uniform depth sled for my belt sander.

Although.... As i think about it.... I think with as thin as these strips are, i could make the same thing for my router.

To make the pieces individually I can see the dilemma. but if each color was made with different wood to give the contrast then a planning jig could be easier once the project is together. Of course finishing with your finish of choice. Definitely a thought for board 2.0

SCAPE President Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post

Making chess pieces stackable: use a large diameter drill bit in a drill press set to a depth to where it only goes a 1/4 of the way through the piece on both sides and then use a dremel to make rounded (sanding attachment) or triangular (cutting wheel) grooves in the rims of each piece. The grooves will fit together.
    Btw, if you ever want some competition for a good game of chess let me know man. I have those same memories of playing chess with my dad for hours while he routinely beat me over and over. His mentality was to give me the tips and to not let up on me so I learned the proper way to use them through trial and error. It took several years until I beat him and it was a 3 hour game, EPIC! Lol

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Making chess pieces stackable: use a large diameter drill bit in a drill press set to a depth to where it only goes a 1/4 of the way through the piece on both sides and then use a dremel to make rounded (sanding attachment) or triangular (cutting wheel) grooves in the rims of each piece. The grooves will fit together.
    Btw, if you ever want some competition for a good game of chess let me know man. I have those same memories of playing chess with my dad for hours while he routinely beat me over and over. His mentality was to give me the tips and to not let up on me so I learned the proper way to use them through trial and error. It took several years until I beat him and it was a 3 hour game, EPIC! Lol

I might have the checkers figured out with minimal effort. I am going to use two diffeent size dowels and a forstner for the thinner dowel to fot through, and then offset the thinner dowel.

It might work.gotta make sure I've guy the right Size dowel in the garage.