Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning Purigen

I read about cleaning Purigen with bleach but decided to try something else. If anyone has old Purigen and wants to try this and see if it works for them I'd like to hear.

I just rinsed it out until the water ran clear then put it in a small container with half water, and half Hydrogen Peroxide. Its been a couple hours and looks pretty good - not pure white but pretty good.. I figure it is safer than bleach but be good to have someone else try. I'm not 100% this actually recharges the bag (i.e. discharges anything it has absorbed) but it 'looks' clean.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done bleach a couple times, as recommended. I am not sure how or why the bleach works, exactly, but unless you are doing a whole lot of it st once, the prime which must be used to neutralize it makes it barely if cost effective.

If the h2o2 works, it would not require as much bringing nor neutralization.

Curious thought indeed. I have 21% h2o2 tat zi use to clean my filter socks. I would love to use it for this as well.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I could set this one in some water tinted with Blackwater tonic and see if it absorbs it - will do that when I get back tonight. I tried the bleach thing but threw it out - just wasn't worth the risk to me. The h2o2 should require no neutralization - just good rinsing and maybe setting it for a day in clean water or even air dry in a sandwich bag by the windowsill That stuff breaks down pretty quick in sunlight.

I'll let you know what happens.

That 21% solution could be very cost effective - I generally just but the h2o2 at the dollar store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    I guess I could set this one in some water tinted with Blackwater tonic and see if it absorbs it - will do that when I get back tonight. I tried the bleach thing but threw it out - just wasn't worth the risk to me. The h2o2 should require no neutralization - just good rinsing and maybe setting it for a day in clean water or even air dry in a sandwich bag by the windowsill That stuff breaks down pretty quick in sunlight.

I'll let you know what happens.

That 21% solution could be very cost effective - I generally just but the h2o2 at the dollar store.
    Pool supply store next to my house (not leslie's) sells it for about 20 bucks for a gallon. I use about 1/8 of a bottle to clean 10 or more filter socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=646599

https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...ion-of-purigen

I will switch to h2o2. I can go back to unsing bleach on only my laundry as i used to do.

6. Likes stormvisions liked this post