Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Culturing brine shrimp

I bought a teeny tiny 1oz container of brine shrimp naupulii (seller said thousands in every ounce, and I am thinking only about 100 max) and just put them in a 5 gallon bucket with an air sponge.

Has anyone tried feeding them Fritz Brand S. E. L. C. O Boost or straight selcon?

I have spirulina on its way, but I put about half a ml of boost in there. I have heard of people using selcon, but am just curious of other's results using just selcon or selco.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never hatched brine shrimp before but I remembered watching a video about it. Just wanted to share the video https://youtu.be/PVMntyRFaA0 .Ingredients info starts at 7 minutes mark, he only uses rock salt and baking soda.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5 gallon of rock salt as well as baking soda.
    I might try another culture in that.

Thanks for the link.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I managed to get a full portion from the bag of eggs I bought st the auction in February to hatch overnight. The decapsulated cysts really seem to make a difference.

My spirulina powder came in today, and everything I have read indicates that even selcon is a fine stand alone food, so I plan on feeding the first batch to my 90 gallon perhaps by next week.

Pretty exciting stuff.

My brother and I did "sea monkies" when we were kids, but only got a couple to hatch, as far as I can remember, but thsee seem of much better quality, despite sitting on my nightstand for the past 16 or so weeks.

They are in the fridge now (just finally read the directions on the darn things. Maybe I should just leave them out as I have).

I anticipate that they should hypothetically last me months if I do not keep the culture propogating.

From everything which I have read, the selco, etc is more than enough food, so by just enriching them and continue using with my frozen foods, this will be more than adequate for my saltwater tanks.

I would love to get back into daphnia again soon, though.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Charizard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you planning to use these as feeders? If so, why not culture microworms. They are comparable in nutrients and are much easier to care for.