Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kelsie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Aquascape!

Hi everyone! My name is Kelsie. I am an aquascape newbie. I have had fish tanks all my life, but have never tried to keep any live plants alive in the tanks, let alone a whole “landscape.” I decorated my first tank for this years OC pet expo. I had just recently gotten my plants before the competition, so they haven’t had a chance to grow out yet. I didn’t end up placing this year, but I did receive many kind complements for my tank. A fellow member of this club talked with me at the expo, and recommended that I join; so here I am!

I am super exited to learning more about this art, and hope to go to a meeting soon. In the meantime, I would appreciate any feedback any one may have on what I did well, and what I can do to improve my tank. Thank you in advance!

These are the plants I used:
    Vesicularia dubyana
    Mainam staurogyne repens
    Bolbitis difformis (on bonsai)
    Tropica alternanthera reineckii
    Elocharis sp. dwarf hairgrass

Fish: guppies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes sharkpile liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelsie!

I saw your tank in person and thought you did a great job! Knowing this was your first time is impressive. Too bad you didn't place but hey, there is always next year. I really loved that bonsai with the bolbitis. I'm still learning in this hobby so I'm no pro. The only thing I can advise is placement of the heater. I would have placed it in the back either horizontally closer to the surface or vertical right next to the filter uptake. It's a little unsightly and definitely distracts from the layout. Keep at it and hope to see you at our one of our monthly meetings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the little rock "bridge" over the "river".

I'd let it grow in as you have it. I'm not sure how the S.repens and A. reineckii will end up looking in the current configuration - will it end up looking too busy? That's for you to determine as it grows, and there is no right/wrong answer, only what works for you.

It's a beautiful tank. Good luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Zach
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelsie,

Thank you for taking part in the aquascaping competition at the Pet Expo!!! This was an amazing setup at the show, and it is extra-special if it was your first. I would love to watch you grow as an aquascaper, as you definitely have talent. I hope to see you at one of the meetings sometime! I would be happy to give some input about the judging (for any of the contestants) in a less public format.

-Zach

6. Likes swoof liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted ShadowJay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kelsie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Kelsie!

I saw your tank in person and thought you did a great job! Knowing this was your first time is impressive. Too bad you didn't place but hey, there is always next year. I really loved that bonsai with the bolbitis. I'm still learning in this hobby so I'm no pro. The only thing I can advise is placement of the heater. I would have placed it in the back either horizontally closer to the surface or vertical right next to the filter uptake. It's a little unsightly and definitely distracts from the layout. Keep at it and hope to see you at our one of our monthly meetings.
    Thank you very much! I can’t believe I have never thought of putting the heater horizontally! *facepalm* I’ve always just thought of it going in vertically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelsie I loved your setup. Especially the use of the bolbitis on the bonsai tree!!!

SCAPE Member Just Planted MamaShark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Joan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is impressive!

SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club! I had the tank to the right of you in the competition. I'm glad you decided to join the club! Your aquascape was very impressive.
    I hope you can make it out to one of our meetings sometime, the next one is at Nautilus Tropical Fish in Lakewood on May 19th.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!